Opinions on Cold Steel San Mai?

Just a random dude.

I have just found a place that sells Cold Steel SRK in San Mai. I just want to know before purchasing how would this steel compare to let's say my KA-BAR D2 Extreme fixed blade?
What are the pros and cons of San Mai in Cold Steel knives? Edge retention, toughness, Some basic info please?
Overrated? Underrated?
EDIT: The below info is all I could find on the steel used in the Cold Steel SRK I was thinking on buying. Starting to have my doubts about purchasing this as I am not a fan of Hollow grings in a hard use survival type blade.

VG-10 San Mai® comprises of three layers of expertly laminated stainless steel combined in one blade. Hard carbon steel is sandwiched between two layers of tough lower carbon spring steel, thus maximizing edge holding ability while still being able to withstand impact and lateral stresses. Produced in extremely small production runs, San Mai® is used on only our most collectible high-end fixed blades, and is a registered trademark of Cold Steel worldwide!

Last edited:
Personally I am not a fan of the Cold Steel brand but if you post what steels are used in the San-Mai knife you are asking about it will help.

Not a huge fan of Cold Steel myself. All I gather is VG10 is the core and unknown Carbon steel for the sides sandwiched on the VG10. The reason I considered this was because of the $92 price which seems to be a good deal. I may even decide to forget it. I do after all have a USA made KA-BAR D2 extreme I been itching to try out.

The only info I can find on this knife is as follows. What confuses me is the wording of stainless later changing into low carbon spring steel. All the while saying 3 layers of stainless steel.

VG-10 San Mai® comprises of three layers of expertly laminated stainless steel combined in one blade. Hard carbon steel is sandwiched between two layers of tough lower carbon spring steel, thus maximizing edge holding ability while still being able to withstand impact and lateral stresses. Produced in extremely small production runs, San Mai® is used on only our most collectible high-end fixed blades, and is a registered trademark of Cold Steel worldwide!

Last edited:
I have never used VG-10 but I had a pocket knife made from it which I did like. Someone will be along shortly who knows more about VG-10. Personally I would use the KA-Bar.
I do agree with you on the description they give of their San-Mai.

VG10 is one of my favorite steels. It takes a very fine edge. Once again, they are lying. They did not trademark san mai. The description is accurate, stainless steel can also be high or low carbon.
One part of that says spring steel. The spring steel I am familiar with in fencing is carbon steel. At the very least they could have wrote the article a bit more understandable and professional. To me the article comes off as confusing and speaking of different steels.

VG10 is one of my favorite steels. It takes a very fine edge. Once again, they are lying. They did not trademark san mai. The description is accurate, stainless steel can also be high or low carbon.
Remember they tried and started sending smiths all over lawyer letters telling them to stop using the term San-Mai because they owned it. Yeah, that would be the Japanese, a long, long time ago. I do not trust such a company. Just my opinion.

they did not trademark san mai.
Boy they sure did try to claim trademark to San Mai. Raised such a ruckus they were scared to show up at Blade Show that year, cancelled out. My understanding is they did trade mark the word "|||San Mai" with (and only with) 3 vertical bars before the words. Maybe they are wavy vertical lines, don't remember for sure which it is. They even scared FiF away from using the words "San Mai" for a while. FiF switched to using "3 layers", but lately they're went back to the proper term of "San Mai" - I think (memory isn't so good) this last statement is true, but can always be corrected.

Agreed, not much interested in Cold Steel, they tend to pay more attention to "marketing" than "engineering" and that always scares me away from a company.

Boy they sure did try to claim trademark to San Mai. Raised such a ruckus they were scared to show up at Blade Show that year, cancelled out. My understanding is they did trade mark the word "|||San Mai" with (and only with) 3 vertical bars before the words. Maybe they are wavy vertical lines, don't remember for sure which it is. They even scared FiF away from using the words "San Mai" for a while. FiF switched to using "3 layers", but lately they're went back to the proper term of "San Mai" - I think (memory isn't so good) this last statement is true, but can always be corrected.

Agreed, not much interested in Cold Steel, they tend to pay more attention to "marketing" than "engineering" and that always scares me away from a company.
I use to like Vintage stuff from Cold Steel. I am talking 80's - 93. Back in my young man days. I only own one Cold Steel now. A first year run stamped emblem Bushman with leather sheath.

With that said I have tried a few newer 2018-2020 knives for general landscaping work. And had disappointing results even for a cheap bottom barrel knife.

1. Bought a GI Tanto. Upon opening I had a centimeter of tip fall on the bed not noticing it until It got lodged in my leg.
2. 2 Luzons and a Ti lite internal ball bearings and nylon boshings got worn and deformed rendering easy opening and blade centering useless.
3. A pack of cheap shot broadheads. Yup they would snap right at the ferrule insert rendering your arrow shaft useless.

Yeah after that San mai crap they pulled a while back I want absolutely nothing to do with them. never particularly cared for them anyways. that Lynn Thompson is a nutcase.

Beep beep beep...Old man alert...No just kidding Bruce is correct. Its one thing to speak of opinions on a company but on an individual person is a little bit rude. Random guy I know you are new so its no problem, we just do not get personal here. Even with those who are not on the forum.

Beep beep beep...Old man alert...No just kidding Bruce is correct. Its one thing to speak of opinions on a company but on an individual person is a little bit rude. Random guy I know you are new so its no problem, we just do not get personal here. Even with those who are not on the forum.
Understood. I got my answer and decided not to purchase a C.S. San Mai after the comments I have read from yourself and others. I will request to have this thread shut down. I don't keep up with the politics of knives. I just usually buy them if I like them.
But I still disagree with Bruce on his opinion that it is ok to pick and call out one but not the other.
Bad people can come from mass production or custom either one.
Anyways I want this thread shut down before it turns into a stupid mess.
I just wanted opinions on if this was a good way to get introduced to San Mai steel.
The answer is no. And I agree. Thank you and everyone for your time and your reasons.

I bet you could find a maker near you who can make you a San-Mai blade. I just do not buy commercial knives anymore since I can make them so I have no idea of a good company to buy a San-Mai knife from. Good luck and please stick around the forum.

I bet you could find a maker near you who can make you a San-Mai blade. I just do not buy commercial knives anymore since I can make them so I have no idea of a good company to buy a San-Mai knife from. Good luck and please stick around the forum.
I am not leaving the forum. Got stuff to learn. I joined in part to learn. And see others works. And possibly purchase from a few members on here. My other reason being I want to buy a cheap beginner forge and try to craft some small trinkets and figurines.
Maybe if I get good enough I will attempt a few knives down the road.
There are hardly no knife makers near Washington DC I know of. So I have to resort to finding one online.
Covid19 has not helped much.

Opaul is in NC and someone around here is in Virginia. If you are looking to start moving into pattern welded knives its more than likely time for you to find a smith or two to buy from. Use the search engine on here and you will find tons on making/buying forges.

Back