Ooops! Wrong steel!

KCorn

Ok. I'm an idiot. I sent some blades to Texas Knifemakers to have them heat treated and all of them were CPM-154 (or so I thought). When I got them back and started assembling them I realized that one was thinner and that I had cut that blade out and ground the bevels months ago. It was CPM- S30V. What are the ramifications for having that blade heat treated as if it were CPM-154? It is for a kitchen knife for Christmas and I don't have time to redo it at this point. Any input would be much appreciated!

That's a question best posed to TKS, because only they know what process they used. Do they not hardness test each blade?

You will want to ask but you should be good. The heat treat are usually the same for 154 and s30v. I have done both steels using the same heat treat with no problems.

That is good to hear Tracy. I'll double check with Texas Knifemakers just to be sure of their process. They didn't do Rockwell testing that I know of. Didn't see any of the tell tell marks on the knife like I have before with Bos heat treating. This is the first time I have used Texas Mnifemakers.

Back