One more quick lightning question

Daniel Macina

Sorry I have another quick lighting question I know there’s been several started lately but a few of them are getting a little old or didn’t pertain to this specifically so I didn’t want to hijack them. If I missed one real recent I apologize

Does anyone have any thoughts on these as shop lighting? I’m in desperate need of more lighting I can’t see crud at night. I know these are only 5000 luman but seems like a pretty good deal for 8 of em. My shop area doesn’t have any traditional light sockets so those nice LEDs that you can screw into a light socket aren’t going to work in this situation.

we have four halogens but they cast a ton of shadows one of which is right Over my workbench.

thanks for any input Fellas!

Last edited:
There's another thread for lighting that has a lot of good feedback. Several of us have installed the led lights that screw into a normal bulb type socket. They are super bright and you can get them for about $30 on amazon

Since you don’t have the screw in light fixtures they make the shop type fixtures with LED’s. They might be worth checking out. I really love the screw in LED’s. I’ve replaced all my lighting with them.

The ones I have linked are LED I was just double checking that there wasn’t anything that I was missing or If they were better options similar to what I posted that weren’t the screw in type.

I have the LED replacement tubes in some fluorescent shop light fixtures. they are better than fluorescent tubes by a long shot. Having said that, I have two of the screw-in LED array lights that you can position to shine where you want them, and they are so effective that I’m going to pull down my shop lights and replace them with screw type bases so that I can put the screw-in array lights there. They are nothing short of amazing. Caution: don’t look up! You’ll have blotchy spots in your vision for a few seconds!

Them things is da Bees Knees!! :) I watch the lightening deals, and whenever I catch a 2-pak for around $20..... I grab it. I have 10 of them in the finish shop right now, and have retrofitted 3 of the "swing arm" lights to accept them. When you got old eyes and/or need to see detail..... OH YEAH! :)

Yes they are! Another great recommendation of yours. They aren’t just bright, the quality of the light is exceptional.

Daniel, be sure to read any reviews on what your looking to buy, I put high bay lights in my new shop and they work great but here in my old shop I have some 4' led fixtures that work good too. I also have a couple old 4' fluorescent fixtures.
I bought led bulbs for them where you remove the ballast in the fixture and put 110 line voltage to the bulbs, all went well until I turned on the radio, those bulbs put out some sort of interference and mess with the radio pretty bad.
I went back and looked at the reviews and way deep in there a couple people mentioned this, I won't be getting them again.

Back