One mistake after another !

Looking good Mike.
Looks like you're going to be a natural at free handing. It will open up more possibilities on your designs.

Rudy

thanks guys , one thing that im learning with the free hand stuff is to run the belts slow . The slower speed definitely is giving me more control. when using a jig , it really didnt matter cause you really cant mess it up .

One thing im seeing is that I can get my belt to roll over one side of my platen but will not on the other side . I let it hang over and beat up on it a little to wear on the sharp edge , but i personally have to pay more attention when Im working on that one side not to use too much pressure or I will dog up that plunge..

Just some differences that Im finding and yes working freehand and without a table is giving me more room to try and work some challanges in grinding .

On a side note , I took this blade here to my shop and took the last picture , uploaded them and put it on the forum. A guy walked in and fell in love with it He wanted stainledd satin bolsters on it with a nice piece of wood and a tong hole. I threw a number at him and bought it on spot , paid for it in full . That was nice getting paid for something in full that isnt even done yet .

Mickey,
Nice looking blade you have ground out.
Use a piece of a broken China plate, Tea cup of coffee mug to dress the edges of the ceramic belts. Sharp belts and slower speeds do make all the difference in free hand grinding.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Here is my mistake sticking in the shelf with a friend.
As you can see, the haloed pins, I pushed this aside and jumped into making a damascus knife, which I'm posting pictures of.

We all go through times some of us are just to proud to tell about them . I just spent 7 or 8 hours finishing a mosaic damascus skinner, I get to the last grit hands sanding the handle its a killer red wood burl awesome and im shoe shine polishing 800 grit and I snapped the blade. It was nearly as thin as a old straight razor and I forgot how fragile they are when so so very thin. In the toilet and flush twice dam sucks to make misstakes like that. I got 'mad' and mig welded it back together, take that you SOB . another shop knife lmao kellyw

Back