Old U.S.N Mark 2 knife

Justin Presson

Anyone on here know any information on this knife? I fixed a busted tip on it and owner does not know much about it.
0sUWtgv.jpg

A number of companies were awarded military contracts during the war. So even if Kabar had been the original designer, once accepted into the supply system the gov't could go out and have multiple vendors supply it to meet demand. For instance, the Singer Sewing Machine Company made a great many of the M1 Carbines. (The super collectible ones, now.)

If I'm not mistaken, Camillus and Kabar supplied the majority of the knives during the war. I have one here that belonged to my grandfather. Though he was Army, his is a Navy pattern and the blade is stamped "Cattaraugus 225Q"

225Q

The article says, "This knife was Cattaraugus’ most produced knife during the second world war. It is a 10 3/8″ fixed blade knife that collectors sometimes refer to as a Commando or WWII fighting knife. They have leather washer handles and a high carbon steel blade. The knife never really seen much active combat as most were issued to the Navy for opening crates."

Last edited:
i have a 225Q that a member of the 82 airborne carried on d-day. he didn't like the other knives. the Q on the 225 stands for quartermaster. that is the troops it was designed for. it is the original sharpened crowbar. but all services used it is a great knife. justin great job on the MK2

You did a great job on that knife. Maintaining the patina and character- bravo!
Thanks opaul, I wish I would have taken pics after I had ground the tip back. As I had to grind the bevels back about an inch to get it back down to proper thickness at the edge. I used a combo of thinks to try and replicate the patina I darkened it with a light dip in FC then used mustard to give it a nice patina.
The owner was shocked how nice it turned out.

Thanks opaul, I wish I would have taken pics after I had ground the tip back. As I had to grind the bevels back about an inch to get it back down to proper thickness at the edge. I used a combo of thinks to try and replicate the patina I darkened it with a light dip in FC then used mustard to give it a nice patina.
The owner was shocked how nice it turned out.
it looks great.

A number of companies were awarded military contracts during the war. So even if Kabar had been the original designer, once accepted into the supply system the gov't could go out and have multiple vendors supply it to meet demand. For instance, the Singer Sewing Machine Company made a great many of the M1 Carbines. (The super collectible ones, now.)
Singer did not make carbines. They did make some receivers for Winchester. They made 500 M1911A1 pistols.. Those are worth a pretty penny nowaday.

If I'm not mistaken, Camillus and Kabar supplied the majority of the knives during the war. I have one here that belonged to my grandfather. Though he was Army, his is a Navy pattern and the blade is stamped "Cattaraugus 225Q"

225Q

The article says, "This knife was Cattaraugus’ most produced knife during the second world war. It is a 10 3/8″ fixed blade knife that collectors sometimes refer to as a Commando or WWII fighting knife. They have leather washer handles and a high carbon steel blade. The knife never really seen much active combat as most were issued to the Navy for opening crates."

My father had one of those as part of his kit during WWII. It is also known around knifey-type guys as the "Quartermaster." Bark River has a modern rendition. The OP's knife is, as @ c craft says, a Ka-Bar. It could have been used by a SEAL, but Ka-Bars were around by the thousands to several branches of the military. The Quartermaster is a heavier, stouter knife. The Ka-Bar is sticky-stabby, but you could break it opening an ammo crate without much trouble.

Hope that helps. I am not an expert. :)

Singer did not make carbines. They did make some receivers for Winchester. They made 500 M1911A1 pistols.. Those are worth a pretty penny nowaday.
I'm NOT an expert at all, but have read Singer made some carbine receivers that other manuf's finished to complete carbines? Of course owning one of those 500 .45 auto 1911 pistols would be neat - I've read a value over $30K.

I have a read and heard that Singer made some parts for carbines. Never have I been able to verify this. In over 25 years of dealing with the carbine, I have never seen parts marked as Singer. These guys maybe able to help; http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

Back