Old dog. New trick.

I bought the Gesswein ones, a set of them, about a month ago. Finally used them today and man, I love them. Super fast, I went from 120 grit belt to 400 with the stones in just a few minutes. That’s on annealed Magnacut. After HT I’ll finish it up a little more, but yeah, those things rule. Use them like a chisel as others pointed out.

I tried cleaning up one of the knife blanks last night. Post heat treat. To be honest, not a big fan of the abrasive sticks - post heat treat. They were wonderful using them in the grind line. Way faster and more effective than sand paper. I struggled getting a consistent finish on the knife flats. Perhaps I need more practice. Nonetheless, another tool for the tool box. I am going to keep using them on the plunge lines. I will still finish with Redline sandpaper.

I use sandpaper after the last EDM stone to clean up the final finish. They can leave deep scratches if you use too much pressure, so it's getting used to how they work, too.

I tried cleaning up one of the knife blanks last night. Post heat treat. To be honest, not a big fan of the abrasive sticks - post heat treat. They were wonderful using them in the grind line. Way faster and more effective than sand paper. I struggled getting a consistent finish on the knife flats. Perhaps I need more practice. Nonetheless, another tool for the tool box. I am going to keep using them on the plunge lines. I will still finish with Redline sandpaper.
That’s pretty much what I’ve found so far too. They work great for getting rid of scratches and cleaning up tight areas, but the finish looks weird, even with a 1200 grit stone. I’ll probably try 1200, then finish with 600 grit sandpaper

Great thread. Can someone send me a link listing the exact stones that work best for you? Thanks.
These are what I’m using. I bought 2 sets of them. So far it looks like I could probably get 5-6 decent sized blades finished off each set.

Back