Old Belts?

Mconner

Has anyone come up with a way to re-bond the joints on old belts? I have a lot (over 200) of 3M Trizact A45 belts that I got from an estate sale but they are undoubtedly old and the splices just won't hold. I've tried every adhesive that I have to try and re-bond the splices with no luck. I hate to just throw them away, but not as bad as I hate getting slapped when the joints fail :what!:
Just wondering it anyone has a fix as I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has dealt with this.

Mike

I have a friend in Knoxville who says that he uses a piece of cotton cloth, like a handkerchief or flour sack (if you remember what those are) and Gorilla Glue. He has a jig to make sure that he has them back together straight and clamps them until the glue sets up. Use enough glue but not so much that you glue to cloth to the jig..maybe put a piece of plastic wrap between the cloth and the jig. I haven't tried this so don't blame me if you get slapped.

Mike,

I received a bunch of old AO belts that I just couldn't bear to throw away. I surfed the web and found that there are gobs of info on re-gluing belts. That being said the one I went with was plain old super glue. I put the sg on the splice and then press it in place until the bond is secure. I haven't had a single one break at the seam. Hope this helps. curtis K

I tried re-gluing the splices with Gorilla brand super glue with no luck, I'll try some of the other ca's that I have in the shop and I'll try the cotton cloth with gorilla glue. Something has got to work.
Thanks for the replies.
Mike

Is it worth it? A face slap can't be good.

Perhaps commit them to hand sanding? :)

What is the tape they use for the factory splices? You would think if the people that make belts can get it someone like Tracy could.

Back