OK, I cheated just a little.......

Robert Dark

I ordered a single blade Trapper kit from our own Tracey. I did this with the intention of possibly using it as a pattern.

After checking it out, I decided to toss the included 440-C blade (even though it may have been OK..... I didn't test it), and tossing the included handle scales.

I made my own blade from O-1 (hollow ground belt finish) and put on a set of scales that I bought at Blade last year.

I am quite pleased with the end results.

Robert

Trapper.jpg

Thats a nice EDC you've got. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it got lost either. I've heard good things about this kit.

that came out nice. those kits are great patterns to get started in slippies..
I have been carrying one as an EDC and it's been holding up pretty well.

Thanks guys. I have decided that a "Pattern" may be the best way to go. Let someone else do the foot-work. I can always modify to suit my needs.

The design and fit on this kit is very good considering its a "KIT KNIFE". With a little fine tuning, it would make someone a nice knife.

Don't know if you guys remember this one or not, but a couple or three years ago, I made this one from scratch. I had no pattern and no idea of how a folder worked. It was a "Royal Pain", but it came out nice.

After this photo was made, I took her apart again and added a couple of "Scale Pins" on each side. Still have it, and that Cocobolo has turned almost black. Its been a heck of a knife, but it was definitely a learning experience.

I showed it to Don Hanson at the Blade Show a couple of years ago, and he gave his seal of approval. Made me feel pretty good.

Folder2Web.jpg

Attachments

• Folder2Web.jpg
    Folder2Web.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 8
Slippies are fun to make and carry. You just can't carry a fixed blade everyday but theres something warm and fuzzy about carrying your own pocket knife.

There is something warm and fuzzy about carrying your own pocket knife.

Bruce, you nailed that one, and its even more fun when you "Show" it to folks and tell them that you made it. The usual reaction is "No Way.... You didn't make that.....How could you make make that?" That is usually followed up by... "Can you make me one?"......."How much"........

Then, when you give them a price, they look at you like you have lost your mind......

Back