Oiling leather

LiamLynch

Basically, I need to save money for driving lessons so I don't want to buy anything. I am making a sheath but I don't know what I would do instead of dyeing, I heard of oiling but don't know how. What should I do with my sheath?

You did not say, but I'm assuming your are using Russet, or natural color leather. See if there is some Virgin Olive Oil in the kitchen, and use that. Apply it VERY sparingly in multiple applications until you get the shade you are looking for. It will darken the leather dramatically so wait until it "levels" out before applying a second or third time. It is best to use a sheep fleece swab for application. Just be sure to get it on sparingly.

Paul

I am using leather shoulder with one very rough side and it is veg tanned. That is pretty much all I know. It is just leather like how you buy for making sheaths that you usually dye, it is a kind of peach color.

Last edited:
Mineral oil is better than olive oil, and cheaper. Olive oil can draw leather eating bugs. Learned that the hard way!

We use prunes for that, I have never see any in a drug store, I will check tomorrow. Is linseed oil any good, the stuff you use for wood?

Linseed oil will harden the fibers in the leather and given time, cause it to become brittle. Mineral oil should be easily found. It may go by a different term in Scotland. Mineral oil is the base for common baby oil, but I don't know what other additives may be in it.

We use prunes for that, I have never see any in a drug store, I will check tomorrow. Is linseed oil any good, the stuff you use for wood?

Mineral oil is also used on wooden cutting boards. Try it! It will brighten up Mum's cutting board. Never use Olive oil on a cutting board, it can turn rancid and make you poop like a duck!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Do a search for vinegroon...natural BLACK stain...cheap as dirt vinegar and steel wool you gotta make sure you soak the leather in baking soda solution after or the vinegar will do some unwanted etching!!!

Back