Official KnifeDogs Summer 2014 Knife in the Hat (KITH) Thread

Boss's post gave me a nudge - would love to participate if I'm still able!

I have you added!

New knife maker and a forum lurker, can I get in on this? If not I would completely understand.

I won't tell anyone they cannot participate. This is a very friendly place, and because of that, I rarely visit the other knife forums anymore. Now, I will mention that in six months of membership, your only other post in the forum was for a giveaway. That may strike some as a little suspicious. That isn't a judgement, I'm merely pointing out a fact. Take a look back on the KITH pictures threads from the past few years. There is a lot of hard work that goes in to these pieces. I have no idea what your skill level is, but you should think about why you would want to participate. Knifemaking relies strongly on reputation, and your KITH knife, or anything you post prior to the exchange date will be the first work any of us have seen. This will set the foundation for your reputation among the members here. We all have room to grow as makers, so I don't want to dissuade you if you truly feel you are up to it. I will mention that all the knives I made during my first year or so went to friends and family unsigned. This not only gave me time to hone my skills, but I received valuable feedback as well. This allowed me to refine my processes until I was confident to put my name on it and release it to the universe. Again, I am not trying to talk you out of participating, I merely want to give some food for thought. I have added you to the list, but will leave it up to you to decide how you want to proceed.

I have complete my "KITH knife" but since I have until July I will hold off and see if I can build any better ones to throw in the hat. This is the best one yet but I am sure I can still do better and I want who ever get my knife to get my best work.

I have you added!

I won't tell anyone they cannot participate. This is a very friendly place, and because of that, I rarely visit the other knife forums anymore. Now, I will mention that in six months of membership, your only other post in the forum was for a giveaway. That may strike some as a little suspicious. That isn't a judgement, I'm merely pointing out a fact. Take a look back on the KITH pictures threads from the past few years. There is a lot of hard work that goes in to these pieces. I have no idea what your skill level is, but you should think about why you would want to participate. Knifemaking relies strongly on reputation, and your KITH knife, or anything you post prior to the exchange date will be the first work any of us have seen. This will set the foundation for your reputation among the members here. We all have room to grow as makers, so I don't want to dissuade you if you truly feel you are up to it. I will mention that all the knives I made during my first year or so went to friends and family unsigned. This not only gave me time to hone my skills, but I received valuable feedback as well. This allowed me to refine my processes until I was confident to put my name on it and release it to the universe. Again, I am not trying to talk you out of participating, I merely want to give some food for thought. I have added you to the list, but will leave it up to you to decide how you want to proceed.

I will respectfully bow out then. I would prefer not to be seen as a member of dubious standing. Let's just chuck it up to late night, a post- drink(s) posting. I had no intentions in my participation other than trying to share my work, and I now soberly realize, that there is probably a better starting point for that than this. Thanks for the input!

I will respectfully bow out then. I would prefer not to be seen as a member of dubious standing. Let's just chuck it up to late night, a post- drink(s) posting. I had no intentions in my participation other than trying to share my work, and I now soberly realize, that there is probably a better starting point for that than this. Thanks for the input!

I apologize if I came off harsh, that wasn't my intention. Consider doing a few things to help the group become acquainted with you. There is an introduction thread here: http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.php?59-Introduction-Page. This is a great place to introduce yourself and let the community know what your interests are. Also, filling out some detail in your profile, such as your location, would help as well. You never know if there are other makers near by. And lastly, dive in and participate in the forums. There is a "New to Knifemaking" forum as well as "Shop Talk". These are great places to share your successes and find some direction on your challenges. Knifemakers are the most open and freely sharing group of people you could ever meet. All you have to do is ask. Best of luck to you!

It's been kind of quiet in here lately... How's everyone doing? My shop is starting to thaw out, and I got my steel order from Aldo. Now all that's left is design, grind, HT, finish, make a handle, make a sheath, and sharpen! :biggrin:

It's been kind of quiet in here lately... How's everyone doing? My shop is starting to thaw out, and I got my steel order from Aldo. Now all that's left is design, grind, HT, finish, make a handle, make a sheath, and sharpen! :biggrin:

Just got my kydex and made a press last night. Now to figure out how to make a sheath. :)

Just got back from the Smokey Mountains Spring hammer in. Between the hammer in and a couple of visits with Bill Wiggins and the gang, at his shop last month, I have a couple of new things to try and a bunch of new materials including some Sambar Stag Crowns. Sure am glad to be back to sunny Florida!

I am finished except for a sheath. did not see the 4 inch thing. I saw some one ask can I have two different knives depending on were the person lives?

Franklin,
I think that's reasonable. If you are willing to make two knives of equal quality, and have one meet the 4" requirement, I don't see a problem with it. I didn't want to exclude any makers from participating, and I really couldn't think of a better solution to handling import restrictions that apply to some of our members abroad. I will amend the rules to reflect this.

As always, I'm open to suggestions about this.

Last edited:
Very cool Mark
I have a few knives worked ahead for shows and stuff like this so for me its no problem.
Kind of sucks that I cant send the guys over the pond something bigger though.
Has for quality I try to make every one my best :)

Well its done. But I'm going to hold off on posting a pic until June in case I have a better one to send out. This has been real fun.

Back