Official KnifeDogs 2013 KITH PICTURE thread!

Mark Redmon

This is the thread for all participants of the 2013 Summer knife in the hat to post their FINISHED work. Please continue to use the main thread for work in progress shots. Remember, you MUST have your finished work posted here by 12:00 Noon PST on August 5th, 2013 to be eligible. For those seeing this for the first time, there is still a little over six weeks to join the fun!

The signup thread with all the rules can be found here: http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?30449-Official-Summer-2013-KnifeDogs-Knife-in-the-Hat-Thread

tuskbuster

Andy N (tuskbuster) sent me pics to post of his knife.
007.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

Andy, when you get a chance, please let us know the specs on this. That's nice looking wood, btw!
-Mark

thanx for puttin em up mark. aldos 1084 1/8 . 4 in tip to scales long clip blade with some profiled bocate scales and stainless hardware . cross draw sheath is sittin dryin as i type. now this wood came from an old retired grip maker that was in a box of wood that i bought . it was written in pen on the slab as bocate. has a real sweet smell to it while workin.ive made around 8 chefs blades with the wood and the old lady didnt want me sellin any. ya'll will have to excuse my crappy pics

Very cool! I've only used bocote a few times, but it never had nice flowing figure like that. The stuff i had was almost tiger striped. I would have sworn that was high grade cocobolo. Might have to give it another try if I can find some nicer stuff.

you may be correct on that mark,as i know jack about woods other than my local,mesquite,bois d arc,black walnut ,locust. am pecan.the old guy is almost 80 yrs old so who knows how what he marked as what.benn sittin here watchin old episoges of MOONSHINERS and sewin up 6 sheaths and man are my fingers sore
talked to the old grip maker today and he confermed it is cocabola ,said he dudnt know how it was labeled bocate and that the 2 x4 x 14 in piece was over 30 yrs old

Last edited:
IMAG0730.jpg
Well this is a first for me (a few firsts) Its my first mirror finish, my first bolstered knife, my first leather sheath that I need to finish, and its going to be my first blade etch with my mark! I think I pushed my self to my personal limits on this one. its number 14 so I apologize if its not on par with the others but I am pretty proud. Its about 9" oal with a 4" blade in 01. Amboyna burl scales with tiger oak bolsters and stainless hardware. I am still trying to get photography down so I will try and get more picture up. Thanks guys.
Derek

Well i dint have the time to make a knife ready for the Official KD 2013 KIT because i was busy with some other projects, but i had to come up with one, so i took one i had made some time ago and i hope that it's ok with you guys.
Ok here we go
Blade: Sandvik 13C26 3mm, full flat grind, hand finish to 1000 grid.
Handle: Box elder burl, black vulcanfiber and Corby bolts.
Total length: 170mm, and 32mm at the widest point Blade length: 7.5 cm.
Sheath: Hard Pressed leather.

kdf1.jpg

kdf2.jpg

kdf3.jpg

Here's what I've been working on. Made from 5/32 1095 59-60 Rockwell it has 416 SS dovetailed bolsters and redwood burl with SS pins and tube. It's 10" overall with a 5 1/4" edge

Attachments

• IMAG0317.jpg
    IMAG0317.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0319.jpg
    IMAG0319.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0320.jpg
    IMAG0320.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 28
Here's my entry. It's a 6" gyuto-styled knife, AEB-L stainless steel, stablized maple burl handle with brass pins. As a hobbyist maker, I really appreciate the vast amount of knowledge here, and am excited to participate in this KITH.

-- Lee
Round Rock, TX

IMGP7489.jpg

Wow, nice stuff so far guys. Mine is done, well mostly. Sitting in between the last couple coats of Tru Oil now. Will work on the sheath tomorrow night after work. No problem making the 8/5 deadline.

Thanks to everyone who is participating this year! For those that have posted their finished work, please add details about your knife (materials, dimensions, etc.) if you haven't already.

I'm going to try and get pics of mine either this afternoon or tomorrow.

UPDATE: Here's the pics. This wasn't my original choice, but the one I had in mind didn't turn out like I'd hoped so I had to go with the backup. I actually had this one up for sale before messing up on the one I wanted to send. Glad it didn't sell because I absolutely love the Maple handles and this 01 has a very keen edge and I've been cutting all types of stuff around here with it.

Specs:

1/8" 01 Tool Steel. I use 44/40 cold gun blue on the flats. This "bluing" makes the metal nearly black :)
Handle is Spalted Maple with black liner
Blade length is 5 1/2" tip to scales with a cutting edge of about 5 1/4"
OAL: 10 3/4"

Sorry for the shadows on the blade. I've been trying out different items for a light box and the blade kept reflecting the roof of my carport. Gotta get a bigger box!

IMG_1285.jpgIMG_1600.JPGIMG_1610.JPGIMG_1614.JPG

Last edited:
Her are some pics of mine. After the pics were taken, it slipped out of my hand and I dropped it and chipped the back corner of the handle, so it now has a nice, even chamfer around the back - I actually like it more now :)

Some Specs:
Blade - CPM 154
Guard: 410 SS with G10 spacers
Handle: African blackwood w/ 410SS pin
Sheath: veg tan cowhide with a beaver tail inlay
OAL: about 11" if I recall correctly

IMG_0165.jpgIMG_0171.jpgIMG_0182.jpg

Last edited:
It’s 2025 and we won. The aliens came during the snow of early 2020 and they wanted our world. Many lives were lost and most of the wild critters became their food. Lucky for us they could not tolerate human flesh for food. Our problem today is that they turned all the remaining critters into flesh eaters that you can only kill with a knife at close range (being that’s all we have left after the war.) The only advantage we have is that the conversion left the critters slow and weak. So as long as you get them first you can survive. My knife is forged out of the steel found in the front landing gear of a downed fighter plane. I filed the blade and hand sanded it with some supplies I found at an abandoned Lowe’s. The scales are from some materials used to make part of the frame structure of the plane. My sheath was made from a piece of leather cut out of a boot the deceased owner won’t be needing any more.

Presenting the Neo-Tribal Warrior 2025

Summer 2013 KD-KITH.jpg

Hammer forged 12” knife with a 7” blade, 1084 high carbon steel blued. Black Micarta scales, carbon glass pins and lanyard tube. The sheath is handcrafted Herman Oak leather with 3 coats of dye, 2 coats of Aussie and 2 airbrushed coats of “Leather Sheen” for added protection.

(Note: A new concept I am trying “Themed Knife Series”, one of my daughters came up with the idea.)

Back