Off topic question for roughcountry

Paul Long

Robin, I was having breakfast with Don Atkinson (apprentice and student of Monroe Veach) this morning, and he mentioned Saddle makers Severe Brothers from Colorado? and Oregon. Are you connected by way of relation to these makers? Vocation and general geographics make it seem plausible.

Paul

Paul, I'm not aware of any Severe's in Colorado that build saddles. Bob Severe and his daughter in Idaho build saddles. Bob is a second cousin to my dad and grew up in Oakley Idaho.
My dads family came from St Anthony Idaho, four of the brothers moved to Pendleton Oregon at the close of WW2. My uncle Duff aprenticed at the Hamley saddle shop and my Dad, Bill aprenticed in Hamleys tree shop. All four brothers were rawhide braiders and they worked nights braiding bosals, reins and such that Hamleys bought and sold thru the store.

Severe Brothers Saddlery was started in 1953 My brother Randy and I learned to build saddles from Duff and I also learned to build trees from my dad. I started working in the tree shop in 1977 and then started building saddles six years later when one of our saddlemakers retired. I think Bob Severe started his shop about the same time I started to learn the trees. .

I'll ask Randy if he knows of any other Severe's trying to squeak out a living building horse gear.

Pretty exciting time right now for leather workers. The younger crew are turning out work that is just amazing. I wish I could tour the different shops around the country and meet all the talent and see the work in person.
RS

That's it! He said they were with Hamley for a while, so it must have been Duff and your Dad he was referring to.

Paul

Back