Objective rating system for knife photographs

Here's a question.......Should any and all props always be completely inside the frame? Or is it a case by case basis? Are there general rules for that or how does one go about determining...

Assuming the 'props' are relevant and don't distract from the knife I never hesitate to crop them IF that makes the knife as big in the frame as it can be. Too much background and not enough knife is a very common flaw that diminishes the knife's presentation.

Buddy, can you define "clarity" a bit for me?

I should have added, I think you are on to something to help quantify a pictures qualities and I'd like to better understand it.

Yes - Clarity = focus + resolution
Focus is mainly a product of the lens and resolution is mainly a product of the camera's digital sensor.
A knife image meriting a high clarity rating will be fully in focus end to end with details that are crisp, sharp and easy to see.
When looking at a high-clarity knife image people say things like, "looks like you could pick it up right off the page" or "looks almost 3D" or "it really pops" etc.
Some photos show a knife that is in focus but lacks high resolution, or has high resolution but one end or the other is not quite in focus.
The easiest way to make a high clarity image is with lots of light, a tripod (or very fast shutter speed if camera is hand held), a smaller lens aperture set at say F11 or higher and a camera sensor with say 12 million pixels or more that can shoot in manual mode.
Hope this makes sense. :confused:

Clarity is the major issue with this photo.
The point and butt of the knife are out of focus. Only the center is sharp.
I was experimenting with my 50mm lens and exploring the depth of field variations with it. If shot at f11, as Buddy says, the entire knife would be in focus and it would have more "pop"…

So the rating game goes
Composition-2 (one or more minor flaws) The knife is off center horizontally. Not far enough off center to be deliberate and a design element, but off just enough to look… well… wrong.
Lighting-2 (one or more minor flaws) The lighting is flat, the handle is dark, the pins don't shine and butt end of the handle disappears into darkness.
Color-2 (one or more minor flaws) The knife shows up against the background. That's about it. A neutral background is usually a safe bet. But the subject doesn't jump out at you, it sort of blends in. As if it was in a fog.
Clarity-2 (one or more minor flaws) As I said above, the ends of the knife are out of focus. The blade is dark, not to mention finger smudged.
The flat lighting also contributes to the lack of "pop" that makes you want to reach out and grab it.
Creativity-3 (no significant flaws) It is a pretty much standard knife on a white background shot. With the addition of the plexi base and card stock back.

The same set was used for the black plexi shot, lightbox, with white plexi and background.

Back