NWGS build questions

C

CShepherd

So I'm getting everything lined up to finally build my NWGS and had a couple of questions.

1. I do not have a bandsaw but I do have a 10" miter saw. Can I use that with a metal cutting disc to cut the steel? I know it would be a lot of wear and tear but it's not a lot of cuts.

2. Am I correct that the lengths of the cuts do not have to be precise in length? It appears that they can be off by 1/8" or so without causing any major problems.

3. Other than the 2" Square tubing which must be 3/16" thick so the tool arms will fit inside, does the thickness of the other tubes have to be the stated thickness? I figure that you would probably not want to go any thinner but one source of steel I have carries the correct sizes but in thicker stock.

Thank you so much for your help on this project. I'm not overly knowledgeable in this area and don't have the budget to make many mistakes.

Charlie

on mine i used 1/4 inch steel on the main body and uprights. as for the tool arm yes use the correct size. or you can use flat bar and make a squar tube that fits even tighter.. search the forums here and other palces and you will find a lot of variants to the plans

#1: you can but just go slow so you don't burn out the motor.
#2: yes, you can be off an inch or two and it won't matter
#3:you will be OK. the 1/4" thick 2" tube looks like it will work but won't due to the weld line inside.

#1: you can but just go slow so you don't burn out the motor.
#2: yes, you can be off an inch or two and it won't matter
#3:you will be OK. the 1/4" thick 2" tube looks like it will work but won't due to the weld line inside.

Thanks for the replies from both of you. I'm excited to get this going and hopefully am going to get the steel the week after Christmas. :D

Charlie

In your neighborhood try Seaton's in Athens, Tn. Right up I-75. Seaton's is a salvage yard and you can find salvage steel at bargan prices. There are three different yards. There are two brothers and each owns his own yard (one owns one and the other owns two). If you don't find what you need at one try another. They will tell you that there is a $5.00 drouling fee, Ha!

In your neighborhood try Seaton's in Athens, Tn. Right up I-75. Seaton's is a salvage yard and you can find salvage steel at bargan prices. There are three different yards. There are two brothers and each owns his own yard (one owns one and the other owns two). If you don't find what you need at one try another. They will tell you that there is a $5.00 drouling fee, Ha!

Awesome. Might have to make a road trip up that way soon.

Charlie

One thing I changed was the location of the threaded hole to hold an attachment in place. Say you put your contact wheel attachment on. The bolt you tighten to hold it in place is what im talking about. Not a big deal but that square tube is hard to find around here and expensive in that size. Seemed like a lot of wasted material inside the main tube especially if your making all the attachments. I moved mine all the way to in front of the first verticle. No problems for almost a year now.Thinking about putting a set bolt on top too.

Its a great designed grinder and works great.2thumbs

Back