NWG build starting

Sorry no pics haven't started yet.OK guys after all these months of reading and figuring I am going to build the NWG grinder (with welds). Any advice on any tweeks or mods to make it better then the plans. I am no engineer so keep it realistic. I am recruiting the father in law in this effort as he is handy and was a mechanic. Pics will be coming as soon as I start. Thanks to the dogs for all the great reading and learning. If you have pics of your builds or mods show them, will be greatly appreciated.Wish me luck

Hey Newbiekid! Still use my NWG almost daily for 5 years and added welds to mine as well. It works well as designed- only tip or mod I can say is to look at making it a direct drive with an AC or DC motor/variable drive combo and elliminate the belt as it can slip under heavy load. Not a real problem but just an upgrade. Enjoy your build and post those pics!
Grinder in action.jpg

You don't need all the different sizes of tubing in the plans. When I was building these grinders I used 1.5 and 1.25 11 gage tubing. In those sizes the smaller tube won't slip inside the larger because of the internal weld. That can be cured by taking an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and grind a shallow grove in the length of the smaller tube. This makes for a closer fit with out the slop of thinner tubing.

If you are going to consider making it direct drive you can avoid spending around $100.00 for those parts and apply that money to the purchase of the VFD.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Sorry to hijack this but what kind of VFD should we be looking for. My home built has a 3hp 220 single phase HF motor.

Ausbrooks thanks for the direct drive idea I think with you and the one and only wayne coe suggesting it I am sold on the idea. Thanks wayne for the tubing idea I asked and received great info, going to go with the different tubing size less slop as you say. Slatroni no worries about I hope this thread will help all.

Newbiekid13 there are some good NWG builds in the work in progress or wip page. There are good pics in there that I would recommend checking out.

You must have a 3 phase motor to use a VFD. In my opinion 3 hp is way over kill and the VFDs are way more expensive. I do sell a VFD that will run a 3 hp 3 phase motor using 230v single phase in. I believe that 1.5 hp is plenty big but you can run either a 1.5 or 2 hp motor off 115v single phase in. If you buy from another source be sure that the VFD has a NEMA 4X enclosure.

Another option is a DC motor - they cost more (I found a good used one cheap) but a speed control for a 2hp is only about $150 if assemble yourself.

One tip I can give you is to make your tool arms longer than 15"... much longer (like 36" or more). This is because if you are trying to use your tool rest with the 8" wheel to do hollow grinds then the 15" arm isn't long enough. I would also suggest on the 8" wheel arm and the smaller wheel arm (the one with the aluminum attachment where you can change the small bearing wheels out on) to make those longer as well because they have to be out more than the platen attachment or slack belt attachment would be.

WP_20140509_007.jpgWP_20140509_006.jpg

So here I go into the world of big boy grinders. Metal is cut, wheels are in and pillow block bearings have arrived. Also my 1x42" is fixed so in the meantime while I finish the nwg I can actually get to work. Thanks to all with advice and modification ideas.

One piece of advice. One key to a good running machine / straight tracking machine is maintaining squareness. Welding sometimes pulls and warps things so be careful with the welds! Take some pics along the way to share with everyone!

It's coming ok, slowly but surely Razor. The father in law just located 3 motors so that is a nice score. Just need to find some time to head up to the in laws to finish. Will post as it comes along.

Back