Not quite a knife, but... (with thanks to Chad and B Bump!)

jylong_away

...made using Chad's Moku-Ti, and some knifemaking tools. This is the latest in the line of 'unusual' rings I make as a hobby. My typical 'standard' design features the claw thingie that fits snugly under the neighbouring finger(middle finger, in this case) and can be rotated out for use. It's great to open plastic packages when you don't have an edged tool handy! The 'faceted' look is something I've just tried this time. It's based on a 7-sided ring design, with the rest of the facets being sized by 'feel', and poorly remembered trigonometry ;P The whole 'faceted' thing was inspired by my better half, who was browsing on etsy and showed me a 3D printed, multifaceted ring. Naturally, my first response was..'Gee, I think I could make that..'. Guess who's getting a more normal-looking faceted ring soon?

20121005_174705.jpg 20121005_174633.jpg20121005_174755.jpg

On-finger views..
20121005_174455.jpg20121005_174522.jpg20121005_174538.jpg

The overall outline was cut with a hacksaw by hand, and ground close using Bruce Bump's carbide file guide. It's safe to say I really wouldn't have been able to do this without that particular tool. So Bruce, *this* is partly why I just *need* to get another one of those guides! ;) Curved bits were done with a dremel.

Chad, this is almost the last of the old 'random' Moku-Ti bar that I got off you last year. Thanks again for the twist sample. Can't wait to try it out!

Attachments

• 20121005_174822.jpg
    20121005_174822.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 22
For opening Plastic Bags? Lol.

It's visually pretty but I would check local laws before wearing it in public.

Where I live in California I am fairly sure that would be deemed a Brass Knuckle Weapon of sorts. There is a law here that a knife has to look like a knife, A gun has to look like a gun.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Heh, oddly enough, it's actually *is* quite convenient to have when you need to open thick plastic packaging! ;) Thankfully, I'm somewhere that's slightly more permissive(outside of the US), so it's hopefully less of an issue. But naturally, I don't advertise this kind of thing widely. I must admit tho, this is probably the sharpest one I've done to date. The linear faceting sorta lent itself to that. Previous ones have been more of, say, a dog's tooth kind of sharpness.

It's mostly to try and convince Bruce why I need another of his file guides! ;)

For opening Plastic Bags? Lol.

It's visually pretty but I would check local laws before wearing it in public.

Where I live in California I am fairly sure that would be deemed a Brass Knuckle Weapon of sorts. There is a law here that a knife has to look like a knife, A gun has to look like a gun.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the name mention. I can see it would be cool to wear it especially in a job that could utilize a tool in your palm. It certainly looks good with the faceted finish lent from faceted stones in most rings. Hey how about setting a stone or two in the next one.

I can't see how the file guide played a part in the grinding but pm me if you want another one.

Thanks for the name mention. I can see it would be cool to wear it especially in a job that could utilize a tool in your palm. It certainly looks good with the faceted finish lent from faceted stones in most rings. Hey how about setting a stone or two in the next one.

I can't see how the file guide played a part in the grinding but pm me if you want another one.

That's right!

Opening Plastic bags and tightening B.B. file guides! Works Great!:biggrin:

I'm sure it will open plastic bags and other things quite easily!

I still don't get the file guide ether? unless you mount a allen head key in it.

You can then call it a Multi-tool Ring.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Bruce,

I did think about setting a stone in some of my rings, but in all honesty, I don't know how! Does anyone here have suggestions?

I cut the 'blank' for these (before the angular faceting) using a paper stencil. I basically glue the stencil onto the material, cut to approximate shape, and then grind close. I align and clamp your file guide to the sides of the stencil when it's glued to the material, and then grind the side down. The carbides on your guide allow me to grind right down against the belt so the edges of the 'blank' are perfectly flat, and perfectly aligned with the stencil.

It's a bit of a crap explanation, I know, so hopefully this image will help. This one's of a piece of' leftover material mounted in your clamp just for illustration. When I'm actually making something, the paper stencil will be glued onto it, and whatever side I'm grinding will be aligned with the edge of the carbides. This allows me to grind *exactly* down to the stencil edge, without going too far, and makes for *perfect* sides.

20121006_055806.jpg

PM sent, btw!

Cool,
That's a smart way to facet the steel. My first thought while reading your explanation was of how a Diamond cutter facets a stone against the face of a wheel.

I use to work with Silver & Turquoise making rings & bracelets etc..

Author Tim McCreight has written a multitude of books on working & shaping every kind of metal.

His book , How to make custom Knives, was my start into knife making.

Here is one that will take you through step by step about stone setting etc....

Complete Metalsmith: Professional Edition: Tim McCreight ... There may be a intro, book as well?

Have fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence,

Thanks for that. I use the guide for the outline of the 'blank', but the triangular facets are done on my belt grinder with an angle guide. Took a bit of trial and error to get the relative angles right though. Does the book you referred to have anything about working titanium? And was that a like you were trying to post, or just the book title?

This the name and author of the book,

Complete Metalsmith: Professional Edition: Tim McCreight.

He has written many books about Metal Working. Ti would be covered somewhere?

Gring Ti gave me such a headache from the bright sparks. I need to were dark eyewear while working it.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back