Normalizing - how far to cool

I think the best reason NOT to over-simplify,... is in order to simplify.

... The best reason not to, is usually so than you can.

Last edited:
I agree it's like reading that you shouldn't heat a hypereuticoid steel to above 1475° to harden and then wondering why your D2 isn't hardening or trying to make sense of the carbon-iron diagram and not realizing that all those other alloying elements knock it into a cocked hat.

Doug

Tai Goo - around 1000-900f I lost any hint of a red glow. This is inside a vertical forge I just built with doors in place that left only a 2"x3" access hole - this is in my "forging shed" set in Western Oregon woods - so even on a sunny day there's no direct sunlight.

Anything that sits still for too long around here grows moss. Or algae.

Kevin - while I seem to be more anal about details than most in the 5160 Club out here - I'm loving getting serious about bladesmithing as a TOTAL alternative to the 1/3 century I've spent setting up databases and designing & coding office & shop floor programs. I've been making my living on all those little 1s and 0s - - - and it is a delight to make something physical from fire, steel, hammer, and quench - even if I have to wrap my old brain around phases, alloys, IT charts and all that! I couldn't do it without the generous help from folks like you, forums like this, and our local knife maker support club - and local Grand Old Man Goddard!

p.s. I'm not joking about the moss and algae.

Last edited:
Tai Goo - around 1000-900f I lost any hint of a red glow. This is inside a vertical forge I just built with doors in place that left only a 2"x3" access hole - this is in my "forging shed" set in Western Oregon woods - so even on a sunny day there's no direct sunlight.

Anything that sits still for too long around here grows moss. Or algae.

That sounds more like where it should be.

... around here, anything that sits still for too long, turns to powder.

Even in the shade out here, a black heat averages about 1250-1350 degrees F.

Last edited:
Back