Noob/Rookie maker KITH?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I got a message from a new maker that is looking to be in a KITH but felt their skills were not up to a KITH with more experienced makers.

Is there an interest for a noob/rookie maker KITH?

I got a message from a new maker that is looking to be in a KITH but felt their skills were not up to a KITH with more experienced makers.

Everybody is a noob at some point (I point to myself as such) . So , that being said, the whole purpose of kith is to stretch your abilities , so,I do not think that there should be a separate classification.
Besides, where would you stop? Class of old guys? Class of fat guys ? Men vs women ?
Guys that have only made 100 knives ?
See , a slippery slope that one.

Everybody is a noob at some point (I point to myself as such) . So , that being said, the whole purpose of kith is to stretch your abilities , so,I do not think that there should be a separate classification.
Besides, where would you stop? Class of old guys? Class of fat guys ? Men vs women ?
Guys that have only made 100 knives ?
See , a slippery slope that one.

I got a message from a new maker that is looking to be in a KITH but felt their skills were not up to a KITH with more experienced makers

Cool... Just asked them to add their name to the KITH sign up. I haven’t paired anybody. KITH really helped me go from noob to to noob plus.

I can see it from a "new makers" point of view. Many people on here make very fine knives. Many of those people are generous enough to participate in the KITH. I can see not feeling right about possibly receiving something much finer than you gave simply because your are new to the craft. I think the new makers kind of miss the true point of KITH. Its about being exposed to other people's work, the good the bad, the new ideas the old ideas. Holding someone else's handmade knife in your hands and deciding what you like and what you do not like. Its about asking that maker how did you do that checkering on the handle? How did you do that jimping on the spine? Do you like working with 80CRV2? Its about listening to what another maker has to say about your blade good and bad so that we all have a chance to learn. I have been wanting John Wilson to get one of my knives for years because I would like his feedback, I just do not like him enough to send him one for free. (Just kidding John, I knew you could take the joke).

In my opinion only, if the "new makers" were to branch off and do a separate KITH I think they would miss some great feedback and instruction. Lets face it, any maker here can make themselves whatever knife they want so its not about the receiving. Its about helping other makers even if they are better than you...Or have I missed the point entirely.

I can see it from a "new makers" point of view. Many people on here make very fine knives. Many of those people are generous enough to participate in the KITH. I can see not feeling right about possibly receiving something much finer than you gave simply because your are new to the craft. I think the new makers kind of miss the true point of KITH. Its about being exposed to other people's work, the good the bad, the new ideas the old ideas. Holding someone else's handmade knife in your hands and deciding what you like and what you do not like. Its about asking that maker how did you do that checkering on the handle? How did you do that jimping on the spine? Do you like working with 80CRV2? Its about listening to what another maker has to say about your blade good and bad so that we all have a chance to learn. I have been wanting John Wilson to get one of my knives for years because I would like his feedback, I just do not like him enough to send him one for free. (Just kidding John, I knew you could take the joke).

In my opinion only, if the "new makers" were to branch off and do a separate KITH I think they would miss some great feedback and instruction. Lets face it, any maker here can make themselves whatever knife they want so its not about the receiving. Its about helping other makers even if they are better than you...Or have I missed the point entirely.
You said it better than me !

This will be my third KITH here on Knife Dogs but I remember the first one. I hadn't been making knives very long and I was extremely intimidated looking at some of the beautiful knives made here. I'm very glad I participated in that first one because it made me strive to produce the best knife that I could knowing another knife maker would be getting it. Knives aren't due until December so newbs and rookies have some time to "take their time" and make a good knife. It doesn't have to be perfect. No one has ever made a perfect knife. But participating in this KITH will improve your knife making abilities and we all want to improve.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this discussion is the friends you'll make by doing this. There are two guys that I consider very good friends although we've never met in person. Dennis Morland and Bruce McLeish. I feel like if I ever needed anything I could contact one of these guys and they would bend over backwards to help and I hope they feel the same way about me. The knife making hobby is a lot more that just about making knives. It's the people you meet along the way that makes it special.

Last edited:
This will be my third KITH here on Knife Dogs but I remember the first one. I hadn't been making knives very long and I was extremely intimidated looking at some of the beautiful knives made here. I'm very glad I participated in that first one because it made me strive to produce the best knife that I could knowing another knife maker would be getting it. Knives aren't due until December so newbs and rookies have some time to "take their time" and make a good knife. It doesn't have to be perfect. No one has ever made a perfect knife. But participating in this KITH will improve your knife making abilities and we all want to improve.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this discussion is the friends you'll make by doing this. There are two guys that I consider very good friends although we've never met in person. Dennis Morland and Bruce McLeish. I feel like if I ever needed anything I could contact one of these guys and they would bend over backwards to help and I hope they feel the same way about me. The knife making hobby is a lot more that just about making knives. It's the people you meet along the way that makes it special.
I can't even bend over forward.! But I am proud to be considered you friend. Last year was my first kith , and I still feel intimidated by the guy that received mine ! Ya gotta stretch to make this knife happen. And even though my entry wouldn't win any prizes, I am proud or the results. Plus , my posting of the WIP , got over 7000 hits ! Probably mostly guys laughing at my attempt , but looking anyway!

I can't even bend over forward.! But I am proud to be considered you friend. Last year was my first kith , and I still feel intimidated by the guy that received mine ! Ya gotta stretch to make this knife happen. And even though my entry wouldn't win any prizes, I am proud or the results. Plus , my posting of the WIP , got over 7000 hits ! Probably mostly guys laughing at my attempt , but looking anyway!
No, it was amazement that you did all that with files and hacksaws...

Yep. I’m still amazed by it. It sits on my desk with Dennis’ awesome knife and I usually pick both of them up almost daily. :)

If you ever need rent money I know about a dozen people that will pay good money for that knife. Seriously. I could sell it in less than an hour. People think that I am crazy for giving it away to a stranger. Funny thing, I did not think it was odd at all. I enjoyed making it and sending it to a new home when it was finished. One of my all time favorites! Went to a great home to a guy that truly appreciates it. Winner!!

If I may jump into the middle of the mutual admiration society meeting here...I do have a slightly different angle on this. I am not a blacksmith/blade maker and use decent blanks purchased from various reputable suppliers. So, I can't be in the current version of the KITH. If there was a separate category for those of us that add handles to premade blanks, that is a fairly easy distinction to make. It might encompass noob/rookie makers too... but as mentioned above I don't know where draw the line for that. Hmmm...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have been wanting John Wilson to get one of my knives for years because I would like his feedback.

Chris, I’ve been meaning to post my review on your new EDC line “The Incarcerator”. I don’t like reviewing free knives because it might taint the review. So I had my buddy source one for the princely sum of two Twinkies and and a conjugal visit.

I love the idea of repurposed materials and the 550 shoelace wrap. If I’m being honest, the heat treat on the tuna can lid steel isn’t great but the poky-ness is excellent.

EA4FDA16-894A-49EB-9151-2948F05E5F46.jpeg

Chris, I’ve been meaning to post my review on your new EDC line “The Incarcerator”. I don’t like reviewing free knives because it might taint the review. So I had my buddy source one for the princely sum of two Twinkies and and a conjugal visit.

I love the idea of repurposed materials and the 550 shoelace wrap. If I’m being honest, the heat treat on the tuna can lid steel isn’t great but the poky-ness is excellent.

View attachment 74626
That is funny. You know that thing came from a prison somewhere.

I agree with everything that has been said above. The purpose of the kith is to make you strive to do your best and to get constructive criticism from the person that receives your knife. I did my first kith on a different forum about 5 years ago and it helped me tremendously. Never be intimidated by the person receiving your knife, no matter what stage they are in their knifemaking, chances are they have been where you are at and they understand. In the case where you have more experience than the person receiving your knife, it's a good chance for them to look at certain aspects and learn from them, usually fit and finish. Just my 2 cents :)

Back