Non sparking or low sparking steel for axes ??

Lerch

Hi everybody,

I recently got asked by some SWAT buddies to make them some breaching axes. I have talked with them a few times and come up with a overall design and length of about 18" long. I was thinking to build them out of 52100 1/4" thick full tang and possible differential heat treat if i can figure out how to harden the cutting side and the prying side but leave the middle somewhat softer. I was going to have the axes cerakoted as well. My questions was with the massive number of meth labs in the state of OK and the large number of these that the SWAT boys raid i was worried about sparks from one of the axes on entry igniting any of the God awful crap those meth nuts use to make there crap

anyone got any ideas or suggestion ??

thanks
steve

If sparking is a real and not an imagined risk, then I'd cast the head from bronze, maybe 10% tin, and work harden the edge. More tin than that and the edge might be too brittle but there are people on these boards who do work with bronze a bit and they would be able to tell you better.

Doug

IMHO i think sparking would be a non issue. if they suspect explosive gases, they would use something other an ax for entry. clothing and/or shoes can make a big enough spark to cause an explosion. 1050 or 1075 for ax head, both are shallow hardening. if you can find it, 'S' series steel would make a dandy. S2 or S7 are formulated to be hardened up to RC60 but be resistant to shock and flex.

scott

I have to agree with Scott. Sparks are definitely a risk when entering a meth lab, but I would highly doubt they would be using a breaching axe to gain entry. My guess would be a battering ram would be a better method. If you're still in doubt, ask your SWAT buddies what they think about it.

The nonferrous metals is the way to avoid any sparking. We used Bronze for some big rodent choppers to be used inside a Grain elevator where sparks can make the dust blow big! I was new at the time and helped.

In ferrous I would use a Stainless Steel, 440C etc.. It can still spark but it's quite a bit less than a Carbon/52100 you mentioned.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

It would bind you to stock removal. but look at some of the low carbon or non carbon stainless steels. Im not sure on this. but I belive Inonell600 may be in that line. Also look into food service stainless. its used for its stainless quality and ease of cleaning, not its hardness.

Just a thought.

Good Luck and God Bless
Mike

Back