Non Blade welding problem

SIXFOOTER

I have a Daytona Mig 160, been a good machine. However today, it keeps jamming the wire at the drive point where the wire goes in the hose. I disassembled the hose, cleaned, reassembled, put on a new tip and it keeps jamming. I can run several feet with no problem until I strike an arc. Ground looks good, I have it close to the arc.
WTF? any ideas?

Danny, is the alignment correct?

Did you recently put a new spool on the welder? Different wire size?

Is it bird nesting?

Is there rust on the wire?

Has anything changed since you used it last?

Hey Bob;
Been a while since it was used last, a bit of rust on the wire, but not much. There is a lube pad on the wire where it goes in the feeder.
Didn't see any alignment problems, the wire is bunching up between the drive wheel and the feed port for the hose.
Bad liner maybe? Can I buy just a liner?

It sounds like you may have a bad spot in your liner. It could possibly have a rust spot or have gotten kinked somewhere. Mig welder are great little tools, but when they are being cranky they can be the biggest pain in the hind end!

Last edited:
Rusty wire will plug the liner up. You can take the liner out and soak it on mineral sprits and try to blow the crap out of it. If that doesnt solve the problem, you are probably looking at getting a new liner. If you arent going to use the welder for long periods in between uses, take the wire out and seal it back up in the bag it came out of. I learned that lesson the hard way, I use 30 lb. spools of metal core wire. 30 lb spools and a new liner aint cheap.

Danny,

If it were me, I would remove enough wire to get to clean wire and try it again. Wire is cheaper than liners. Just run the wire to the side of the liner entrance and shut off your gas supply. Pull the trigger and run it until all the rust is gone. You live in a rust positive environment.

It is possible that rust has built up in the liner and soaking it may do the trick also. I would do that second.

If it has been in a place to get stepped on or kinked then the liner replacement would be the third thing I would try.

Is your lube pad dry? If so I would replace it no matter what the fix turns out to be.

Let us know what happens.

I would try what Bpb said. get to clean wier. also try checking the tention on the drive wheels.not totight,or lose. One last trick would be to step up one tip size. We some times do in the shop on SS,harder wier or wier with a coating. beare a new liner Darryl

Back