Nine year old deer hunters new knife.

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
This was a custom order that I finished today. I is for a nine year old boy who is an avid deer hunter. He was tickeld to death to see the armadillo scales on his knife, I hope he gets a lot of use out of it this deer season.

Hey Calvin thats great. You got him started with a nice custom knife. For sure lets hope he gets to use it.

Nice knife but umm is that real armadillo used for the scales or is it just called that?

Nice knife but umm is that real armadillo used for the scales or is it just called that?

Yeah, its real armadillo. If it weren't so I wouldn't say it. I got these armadillo scales from Dewain Batten, he's a Florida boy who finally found something good to do with armadillos.

Awesome knife, love the 'dillo. Are they stabilized or just dried and hung? Great job Calvin.

Pat

Yeah, its real armadillo. If it weren't so I wouldn't say it. .

What a creative use of the dillo. I had no idea. I thought it might have been a man made material that was just named that for the look. I learn something new all the time on this site.

Very nice knife and work! I like your selection of handle material. That 9 year old boy is very fortunate to receive your work.

I have been interested in some stabilized 'dillo hide for some time but haven't found a source.

Yeah, its real armadillo. If it weren't so I wouldn't say it. I got these armadillo scales from Dewain Batten, he's a Florida boy who finally found something good to do with armadillos.

I got a few of questions, Calvin. The armadillo is attached to another material I am assuming, (ass u me, Meaning-makes an ass out of u and me both, mostly me, boy sure do hate that word)! I have never skint a dillo but have looked over the carcuss on the road edge and it's not that thick.

First question. So I am guessing its backed with something like a G10/fiberglass type backing!

Second question have you got a contact to the afore mentioned Dewain Batten? I would like to have some of that to work with! You can PM me with that if you would like!

Third question. How long did it take to get the grin off of that young mans face?

That is one sweet looking knife Calvin. :drool::drool:

Calvin, I was trying to be humorous and my questions were legitimate questions. Since you didn’t answer any of them I have the feeling you didn’t take it that way! Sorry if I you found it offensive! That is the definition I have always heard for assume, and I was talking about myself using the term assume!

I really do like the knife and was interested in learning more about the dilo scales!

Last edited:
Calvin, I was trying to be humorous and my questions were legitimate questions. Since you didn’t answer any of them I have the feeling you didn’t take it that way! Sorry if I you found it offensive! That is the definition I have always heard for assume, and I was talking about myself using the term assume!

I really do like the knife and was interested in learning more about the dilo scales!

I am so sorry,I didn't see your post with the questions untill I read this post, then I went back and read it. I will do a reply with quote and answer your questions ASAP.

I got a few of questions, Calvin. The armadillo is attached to another material I am assuming, (ass u me, Meaning-makes an ass out of u and me both, mostly me, boy sure do hate that word)! I have never skint a dillo but have looked over the carcuss on the road edge and it's not that thick.

First question. So I am guessing its backed with something like a G10/fiberglass type backing!

Second question have you got a contact to the afore mentioned Dewain Batten? I would like to have some of that to work with! You can PM me with that if you would like!

Third question. How long did it take to get the grin off of that young mans face?

That is one sweet looking knife Calvin. :drool::drool:

I laminated the armadillo hide to brown paper micarta in this case then carried on as usual. Yes I do have the contact for Dewain Batten but it's at the shop and I'm at home right now, I will try to get it to you tomorrow but if I don't it's because I'm too busy getting ready for The Knifemakers Guild Show, I'm not sure if I'm leaving tomorrow or Thursday. If you don't hear from me call me late next week @ 850- 572-1504 and I'll be happy to help you. That little boy was still grinning like a mule eating green briars when he left my shop, he may still be as far as I know.
Thanks for the compliment. You need to come see me sometime, I know we live close to each other.

I laminated the armadillo hide to brown paper micarta in this case then carried on as usual. Yes I do have the contact for Dewain Batten but it's at the shop and I'm at home right now, I will try to get it to you tomorrow but if I don't it's because I'm too busy getting ready for The Knifemakers Guild Show, I'm not sure if I'm leaving tomorrow or Thursday. If you don't hear from me call me late next week @ 850- 572-1504 and I'll be happy to help you. That little boy was still grinning like a mule eating green briars when he left my shop, he may still be as far as I know.
Thanks for the compliment. You need to come see me sometime, I know we live close to each other.

Hey that is great! I thought my attempt at humor had put you off and that definately was not my intention. I will try to give you a call late next week and maybe we can get together. We are almost in each others back yard!
I thought things were starting to swing the other way for the wife, but she has got to go tommorow for a biopsy on her thyroid. The are concerned that some nodules they found on an ultra sound of her thyroid are growing and that they may be cancerous. It has me extremely worried but I won't tell her that!

Back