Next project - Kind of Military

Here are more WIP photos. I decided to go with evergreen burlap micarta scales.

This is sanded to 600 grit and etched to show the hamon. I have the bolsters pinned and peened at this point.

Fitting the micarta scales and pins. Once I feel good with the fit I'll sand in the profile to bring the micarta close to the edges.

I've sanded the micarta at this stage and it's ready for disassembly to begin the glue up.

Disassembled and mating surfaces roughed up and cleaned with alcohol. I sand a small indent in the pins for an epoxy grip.

All epoxied and clamped up. I try to clean as much epoxy as possible. Now the hard part - waiting for the epoxy to cure.

I got the scales sanded and refined, polished and waxed. Still working on the finesse sanding and touch up around the bolster. I'm liking the emerald green scales on this one. I have not sharpened it yet and the tip on one of the photo shows up as a glare for some reason.

Retroguy, you drill the pin holes and counterbore the ends. The you take pin stock of the same alloy, or at least a very similar alloy, to the guard and peen them into the counterbore. Grind smooth, and if the peening was done right, the end of the pins will disappear in the guard.

Doug

Sorry for my ignorance , pinned like a handle scale? I don't see the pin.
What Doug said.
If you hold it just right and are looking for the pins you can find them but both are nickel silver and the match up is pretty good.

Last edited:
Nice looking knife Opaul, I don't see your mark on the blade ?
I know! I was going to stamp the blade after getting the finish down to 600 grit. Then I got busy with the hamon prep and it completly left my mind until I pulled it out of the quench. I left a small section the pommel out of the quench - I might attempt putting it there.

Back