Next Damascus Blade WIP

opaul

This isn't a detail WIP but an overview of some of the steps for this Alabama damascus blade. Elk antler with edge grain micarta spacers.
The blade is shaped and a piece of antler that looks like a good match up.

Sanded to 800 grit and ready for the etch.

After the etch.

This is a dry fit up of the antler. The bolster and micarta spacers have been epoxied in place.

Thanks. One thing I did differently on this knife was to put Teflon tape on the tang before filling the void in the antler with epoxy.
I put waxed paper on the mating surfaces. I was able to remove the blade this with very little trouble. I had to use a dental pick to remove the tape that didn’t come out with the tang.
My thinking on this is getting a good tight fit for drilling one side of the antler and making a mark on the tang. I’ll then remove the antler and drill the tang, re-position the antler and use the first drill hole as a guide to complete
the hole for the through pin.
Not so sure I’ll do it again but so far so good.
BTW I saw an episode on FIF where a knife maker did this.

I really like that look with the micarta spacers. Is it difficult to drill the pin hole on the antler?

Very nice finished product. Will you be doing anything with the butt end of the handle? I haven't tried a raw antler finish yet on a handle.

Thanks. One thing I did differently on this knife was to put Teflon tape on the tang before filling the void in the antler with epoxy.
I put waxed paper on the mating surfaces. I was able to remove the blade this with very little trouble. I had to use a dental pick to remove the tape that didn’t come out with the tang.
My thinking on this is getting a good tight fit for drilling one side of the antler and making a mark on the tang. I’ll then remove the antler and drill the tang, re-position the antler and use the first drill hole as a guide to complete
the hole for the through pin.
Not so sure I’ll do it again but so far so good.
BTW I saw an episode on FIF where a knife maker did this.
Question answered.

I really like that look with the micarta spacers. Is it difficult to drill the pin hole on the antler?
It’s not that difficult but care should be taken not to tear out the back side or introduce stress fractures around the drill hole with a tight fitting pin.
Thanks!

Very nice finished product. Will you be doing anything with the butt end of the handle? I haven't tried a raw antler finish yet on a handle.

Thank you.
Yes I plan to finish the butt with similar pieces of micarta but just a black spacer with one of the other colors- haven’t decided which yet.

Very clean. I like the contrast between the white in the antler and the micarta color (burgundy?) where they meet.
Thanks. I thought the contrast went well with the antler. The other micarta spacer is called oat meal and almost looks like antler.

Back