new years give away knife(s)...

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
The big city (havre 8k people) closest to me has a men's ministry that started a year ago. A talk about walking the walk, a bunch of home made sausage and home made chili, neat guys to visit with...AND....They gave away an old german hunting knife that was prettied up a bit and a sheathmaker made new sheath for it(old one had been lost)...it was raffled off. There was a line of guys waiting to paw over that knife...yes I was in line...lol.

The guy that started this men's night was the sheathmaker...very nice guy. He saw some of my WIPs online and asked if they could buy one for this year (jan 2018). I said no but I will donate two knives...IF...he would make the sheaths. He was delighted to do so!...I didn't really have time for two sheaths with my current work load....

So you get about 60 guys playing with a couple knives you made and keep a fledgling ministry from having to spend $$ un-neccessarily...So I call it a win/win! And it has motivated me to work on handle designs and heat treating.

Excited to be helping with this one...

I'll post some pics when i can....

That is a very nice gesture that will reward you with the blessing it brings with the giving and of course someone is going to have a great knife as a result with the added exposure to your knives.

DSC01422.JPG DSC01429.JPG

Here's the two handles I've been working on all day..lol. I decided to do an inlay then engrave over the inlay...fitting the inlay (even on a cnc) was way more work than I thought...the blade is hard but not ground. That is tomorrows project....I need to have these epoxied to the blade by tomorrow night...I'd like to tape a stick of dynamite to my buffer about now....though I guess I shouldn't blame the equipment for today's scrap...

Good deal Smallshop!
I'll be making a couple of knives for our church's annual youth auction coming up this February. They don't actually auction off the youth :)

Here's one finished...sorry about the photo quality...
My son is experimenting with lanyards...he making a shorter rounder one for this knife which will match better.

I did use mosaic because I cannot find the brass rod I just bought!Lol..I need to get these to the sheath maker by today...just finished grinding the blade...handles are finished just need epoxied.
DSC01434.JPG

a bunch of home made sausage and home made chili,
Now there is a recipe for indigestion. Just kidding I use to love the hot food, the hotter the better, not so much the older I get I pay for it these days!

My brother use to make chili you would have sweat running off your forehead while eating it. upload_2017-12-21_12-59-36.jpegHe used to say that is how you know its good!!

Ted, those knives turned out well! I like how you managed to get the material they are made from as well as your logo right close to each other! And the gift to the Watchmen and the date. It all makes for a real special treat!!

Thanks guys! Feels good to not have pressure of getting these done....the sheath maker does high quality work. I'm excited to see what he comes up with...he liked the knives very much.

One of the guys in town saw a pic and emailed me to see if he could sell some..he has an art/knife store in town. I wouldn't make much doing that but it would get my knives where guys could look at them. I don't like guys hanging out at the shop as it kills productivity...been there done that...So I like the idea of some being in a store.

Going to be a couple of very happy recipients when those are in new homes Ted. A really usefull 'little' knife that will do a lot of 'big' knife chores.

Ted, my sister once told me, in a sort of (shut up) way, I have never seen anyone that loved to tell a story any more than you!! Not wanting to be rude, I looked at her and told her, your problem Sis is just ain't got any good stories to tell!

Of course she also described me to some of her friends as a Jeff Foxworthy clone!!! Not sure if that is good thing or not! I told her I wouldn't mind having some of that money he has though! You might be a red neck if...........

The kind of fellowship you got there is a good thing! It does the body good to sit and talk with good friends and when you sit and bring the Lord into the conversation just that much better!

Back