New toy!

Gliden07

I bought a cobblers manual sewing machine! Lots of good reviews on various web sites. Pretty heavyweight but definitely rough and filthy, covered in cosmoline. Took 2 hours to clean it and I probably could clean it some more!! Have to attach it to a board and try it out still.

20190527_133918.jpg

I polished the bobbin like all the reviews said. Need to file the metal foot and edges of the bobbin cover.

You get to do stuff like that on your dining room table? Now THAT's cool!
Ha ha, I once drilled eight 1/16th inch holes in my dinning room table working on a sheath. It was not a pretty day because our table was built by hand by my wife’s great Grandfather. I refinished it years ago and it has been our table since. Lucky for me it is a rustic table so the holes work... I have not made a sheath inside since.

Ha ha, I once drilled eight 1/16th inch holes in my dinning room table working on a sheath. It was not a pretty day because our table was built by hand by my wife’s great Grandfather. I refinished it years ago and it has been our table since. Lucky for me it is a rustic table so the holes work... I have not made a sheath inside since.
Chris...great story!! I love to hear 'bout guys flirtin' with death!!

Played with it for a couple hours today. As most of the videos said it is finicky. Definitely going to have to get different thread for It as the thread I have is to heavy and waxed so it just kept jamming up the bobbin. Also need to get some chisel point needles for the leather the ones supplied are a standard round type sewing needle. I did manage to thread some lighter thread in it and sew 2 pieces of 8oz veg tanned leather together. If I can get this machine to work it will cut 1/2 the time out of making a leather sheath!! No banging holes through the leather and going back to sew. Just glue it, groove it and sew. We shall see??

Having problems finding the needles I want. I did use the machine to sew the belt loop for a new sheath. I need a larger needle to use heavier thread. Can't find the tip I want in the right size! Needles for sewing machines is a science unto itself!!

Last edited:
A belated update! I finally got this thing to put down a decent seam with a degree of consistency! Also did a small test piece with the groves cut on both sides to see if the needle would go through both at the same time. It worked awesome! I don't know how great this will work on molded sheaths as the walking foot may get in the way? Going to have to just try it. It is going to be great for the gun belts I want to try to make. I made some mods to it used all the junk they sent with machine for the legs on my holder for the thread. Lot of cleaning, oiling and smoothing of the bobbin area. Lots of playing around with stich length, foot pressure etc!! probably will still need a few more tweaks but it seems as though I'm gaining!20191001_204621.jpg

Last edited:
One thing you could check out. If you had a 3/16 piece of teflon ,you could mount that on that lower bar to make you an adjustable stop close to your needle. You could run your sheath or belt material against this in insure that you stitch a consistent distance from the edge all the time. I hope this is as clear as mud to you.

Back