New Temper oven

Sounds like you've got it covered. That dual input Thermometer you've got is similar to one I have. They sure do work good. I use it for my forge monitoring with an 8 ga TC and ceramic cover. Nothing wrong with using °C, I've been a fan of the USA changing to Metric for many years. Metric is so much easier, the hard part is trying to use both and convert between them.

Sounds like you've got it covered. That dual input Thermometer you've got is similar to one I have. They sure do work good. I use it for my forge monitoring with an 8 ga TC and ceramic cover. Nothing wrong with using °C, I've been a fan of the USA changing to Metric for many years. Metric is so much easier, the hard part is trying to use both and convert between them.

Actually I bought the thermometer for exactly what your using it for!! But figured i could use it to check my little project! Just waiting for the 40A SSR to replace the 25 that's on there now and I'm pretty much done.

Almost done! Still waiting for 40A SSR. Insulated the interior floor and back wall today and put rigidizer on it to seal the fibers on KAO-WOOL, put the last few scrap pieces around the PID. The pic doesn't show it very well but the KAO-WOOL is all painted with rigidizer. 20191012_182935.jpg

Last edited:
I think the heatsink might be the limiting factor, rather than the SSR. I think those small extruded heatsinks are only rated to about 15A without a fan, regardless of the rated capacity of the SSR. I'd close it up as it is and give it a try. If you fry the 25A SSR, you'll have the 40A to replace it and can rethink the heat dissipation at the same time.

Tim has it right, that 25A should last just fine if you keep the heatsink cool (cool as below 100F or so). I used a 25 amp SSR until it went bad but that was with almost no heat sink at all. I do think it was the heat that killed my 25 amp SSR rather than current.

Well I already have 2 40A relays ordered suppose to be here tomorrow so I'm gonna install it. I have a plan for the 25A anyway gonna probably go in the Heat Treat oven I'm pretty sure im gonna build. Just figuring out the details for it.

20191015_175523.jpg

All done!! 40A SSR installed cleaned up the wire runs inside installed the outside case and feet. Doing first full temp test as I type! Looks good. Tomorrow hopefully will do a real world test!

Cracking... thanks for posting.

I take it the normal elements are fine and you wont be replacing?

No the original oven went to 550 oven is rated for 1500W so since I'm just useing oven to temper in it should be fine. All my tempering is between 385 and 400. When I get a H/T oven then may have to consider something different because of designer steels?

15718588758311151673362669656557.jpg

First real world test! 1 to 2 Deg C variable. Very happy with outcome. This is the second hour of temper for O1 Chef Knife. Looking very good! Next will be plungeless grind on this.

Last edited:
Just got my oven this eve , a 33 ltr beast which I can get triple the amount of resin blocks into a at least.
Have my PID extra so all good to go..

I note the insulation you have one the base and sides but you can get a board made for doing the same, I might use this on mine for the base as opposed to fire bricks, it is light enough to sit on the elements and heat buy convection as opposed direct heat which is a pain.

I was also told of this adhesive for the blanket to fix it in place https://shop.vitcas.com/ceramic-fibre-adhesive-310ml.html

Finally where did you mount the thermocouple, the one I have is 15 cm , just wondering where the best place in to oven to place it.

Cheers

P

Just got my oven this eve , a 33 ltr beast which I can get triple the amount of resin blocks into a at least.
Have my PID extra so all good to go..

I note the insulation you have one the base and sides but you can get a board made for doing the same, I might use this on mine for the base as opposed to fire bricks, it is light enough to sit on the elements and heat buy convection as opposed direct heat which is a pain.

I was also told of this adhesive for the blanket to fix it in place https://shop.vitcas.com/ceramic-fibre-adhesive-310ml.html

Finally where did you mount the thermocouple, the one I have is 15 cm , just wondering where the best place in to oven to place it.

Cheers

P

My oven had a rotisserie in it, I removed the bracket that held the non motored end the hole that was there was the perfect size for the Thermocouple so I used it. Thermocouple is located on the left hand side almost dead in the middle of the oven top to bottom as well as side to side, The location really worked out well.,

My oven had a rotisserie in it, I removed the bracket that held the non motored end the hole that was there was the perfect size for the Thermocouple so I used it. Thermocouple is located on the left hand side almost dead in the middle of the oven top to bottom as well as side to side, The location really worked out well.,

Cheers

Thanks for letting me know.

Apologies, I forgot to ask what thickness ceramic blanket did you use, I can get 13mm and 25mm but unsure as which to buy.

Many Thanks

Pete

Apologies, I forgot to ask what thickness ceramic blanket did you use, I can get 13mm and 25mm but unsure as which to buy.

Many Thanks

Pete

I used 1/2" on the left side, top, floor because that was the space available in the oven. Back wall and right side I used 1" again because it would fit and the hope was to protect the PID?

I used 1/2" on the left side, top, floor because that was the space available in the oven. Back wall and right side I used 1" again because it would fit and the hope was to protect the PID?

Thanks for letting me know. I intend to fir a way over sized heat sink and also fit a small computer fan which should hopefully keep things cool.
I will let you know how it goes.

Back