New Surface Grinder

cnccutter

Yippee! just got in from the shop and placing my new grinder. I have been grinding my springs and blades to thickness by hand since I started making folders. Anyone that makes folders knows this can take a long time to do and get the right thickness for washers on your blades. you also have to fight to keep the sides parallel to each other and not wedged. if your off any your folder just doesn't work as it should.

i found this grinder a couple hours from me for a great price. it should shave a lot of time off my fitting and hopefully take my folders to the next level.

Erik

Attachments

• eriks new grinder.jpg resized.jpg
    eriks new grinder.jpg resized.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 110
I wouldn't mess with that grinder if you're doing mainly folders. When you learn how to grind the chuck flat (maybe you already have) and good wheel selection/technique that little Harig will put it within .0001 all day long.

One thing that makes for easy maintenance is after dressing the chuck is super glue a couple magnetic parallels (that you have ground flat on one side) to the chuck and then dress them. It is much easier to redress the magnetic parallels than to dress the whole chuck. Plus the parallels are sacrificial and chucks are spendy to replace.

You are definitely headed to the next level with that little Harig! That is a beautiful machine and a wise purchase.

have fun with it. Best grinding advice I could give anyone using a surface grinder is....keep it cool. (I'm sure you already know what I mean....)

I want to chime in on the kudos parade! That little grinder looks like a clean machine. Very nice!

Nice machine. I converted mine but can go back to a stone anytime with no trouble. Surfacing damascus on a stone will leave hot lines when etched. Believe me, theres no getting them out either.

Back