New Shop WIP!

Austin Thrasher

I’ve been wanting to do this for awhile now but just finally learned that my pics needed to be resized. So anyway the shop has been making progress but I’m behind on the wip. I am currently in a 12 x 12 shop that I bought on craigslist a few years ago, drove to Kentucky to tear down and rebuilt at my house. Let me just say that it did not go up the same way it came down and aside from being way too small now, it just looks absolutely terrible. I hope my construction skills have improved since that last job. My new shop is a 16 x 32 and I’ve been building as I can come up with the money and time after work. I am no carpenter by any stretch of the imagination but it would’ve never gotten bill if I didn’t just jump in and start doing it. Let me know what you think and if you have any tips, they are greatly appreciated. I do intend to build a dedicated grind room at the back of the shop to try to keep dust contained and I think that will be a big help in keeping things clean...
Got the runners leveled up and ready for floor studs. And yes I know the side door on the house needs fixed :/
1BCC5CFB-0E88-4507-87E4-2FD85F32234E.jpeg
The floor frame is done and 3 1/2”insulation is in the floor. I realize that is overkill but I only paid 60$ for all that insulation.
8C08E415-F718-4412-83CE-E20CD5F02F3B.jpeg
Couple walls are up...
A83D9ABD-6FFD-4234-BBC6-5994B893B4CB.jpeg
This is where I am at the time of this post. Got the first truss up last night.
0CD913FA-66B7-4D78-ABD8-15EE4A927ECE.jpeg

Last edited:
nice.
triple the outlets you could ever imagine you need.

Yes!!!!! I had the electrician talk me out of so many outlets...I no longer use him...it still makes me angry that I would cave to someone on that issue....I've added more but for as cheap as it is...extra outlets allow you to re-arrange you shop as you grow or add equipment. It also allows you to not have to unplug and replug support equipment.

This advice is NOT to be ignored!! LOL!!

[QUOTE="Smallshop

This advice is NOT to be ignored!! LOL!![/QUOTE]

Lol ok. I’ll definitely put plenty in! What is yalls opinion on running my lines through the ceiling in certain places and having drop cords? I’m thinking that would be nice for certain things to have a plug-in above my head. I don’t know though...

My little wifey tried to talk me out of the windows that I have and I’m wishing I had more lol. Seems to me that natural light is the best light to see your lines and curves by. It will be a all metal shed but I’m thinking about putting a few clear poly carbonate skylight panels on the roof or maybe on the walls for the extra light.

Last edited:
I too am trying to get a permit to add on to my smithy. To my way of thinking, windows are great for light. But I REALLY pay special attention to them as a last-ditch emergency exit. Can never be too careful, given the nature of what we do. Don't want to be trapped cut off from a door.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Yes windows!

Great looking shop Austin, I'm starting mine in about 7 months. your question about drop down cords is a good one. I plan on doing that in several locations, that way machines can be free standing away from walls and work benches.

And I won't need no stink'in permits where mine's going....:D

I take it that having it portable, (not connected into the ground by piles or concrete laid floor) you are not permanent so do not need permits etc.
Regardless of that it is going to be a great shop but unfortunately only half a big as you will need. Come back here after you have been in it for a while and tell me I am wrong :):)

Vonn, over here in the states permitting can drive a person crazy depending where you are.
You don't need any state permits per se, but each county and or city...or both sometimes have a lot of differing views on what needs permits and what doesn't.
In my case, it will be going up as an agricultural building...once it's been built and the gates are closed, the electric will go in.
once it's in the county books as being an agri. building they don't normally come on your property again.
The problem people have where mine's going is they don't tell anyone their building, then the property appraiser photos it from an airplane...at that point they want to come see it to see if they can tax it. if you have them come out and list it on the books as agri. they don't tax it every year as real property.

I take it that having it portable, (not connected into the ground by piles or concrete laid floor) you are not permanent so do not need permits etc.
Regardless of that it is going to be a great shop but unfortunately only half a big as you will need. Come back here after you have been in it for a while and tell me I am wrong :):)

I have a feeling your absolutely right Von Gruff :)

In NZ anything that is permanently fixed to the ground or another structure need a permit to build and the plans must be submitted to the local council for aproval (with apropriate costs) with building inspector visits at specified intervels in the building process to tick off the progess on the paperwork so that with any subsequent sale of the property the new owner can be assured that all building codes have been followed and the building is safe and suitable for the intended purpose.
I have built shaleighs ( (20'x8') on properties to be used for seasonal workers that were build on skids (8"x4" bearers) so that they were towable so are deemed to be tempory and not subject to the bylaws.They are deemed to be a bit like a caravan (RV-trailor) that can be moved from place to place.

[QUOTE="Smallshop

This advice is NOT to be ignored!! LOL!!

Lol ok. I’ll definitely put plenty in! What is everyone’s opinion on running my lines through the ceiling in certain places and having drop cords? I’m thinking that would be nice for certain things to have a plug-in above my head. I don’t know. What is yalls opinion on running my lines through the ceiling in certain places and having drop cords? I’m thinking that would be nice for certain things to have a plug-in above my head. I don’t know though...

My little wifey tried to talk me out of the windows that I have and I’m wishing I had more lol. Seems to me that natural light is the best light to see your lines and curves by. It will be a all metal shed but I’m thinking about putting a few clear poly carbonate skylight panels on the roof or maybe on the walls for the extra light.[/QUOTE]

I would run either 3/4" EMT up there. I would use 4" deep boxes with double duplex outlets and single conductor THHN #12 with a couple extra wires in the pipe. That way you will have the ability to add either extra 20A circuits or 220v 20A circuits with the addition of breakers rather than running new lines from the panel. Also put a panel in that will give you the ability to add circuits as your shop and equipment expand.

Back