New shop going up...

My friend uses a macerator pump which is cool because it elevated it into a 120 gallon tank in the bed of his pickup so he can take it to the dump station. Pretty slick

A composting toilet is really the way to go. No holding tanks to deal with. No plumbing. No smell. As infrequently as it would get used in a shop, to me it’s a perfect solution. Especially when you consider nearly all liquid waste goes out the back of the shop door anyway.

Check out "Nature's Head" composting toilets. They aren't cheap, but no plumbing, etc is required. And you can pick it up and put it in your RV when you travel.

Hmmmm. But where does the poo go and why wouldn't it smell?

The toilet has a self contained basin. Inside the basin you put a block of peat. When the solids fall into the peat, the peat absorbs the moisture from the solids. There's a little crank lever on the toilet where you give it a turn or two to mix the solids into the peat. The liquids in the solid waste are what causes the odor. The peat effectively captures this moisture and dries it out. Every so often you dump the used peat and put another package of peat in there. The old peat (full of solids) gets chucked into the garden as dry compost/fertilizer.

Any urine you pass into the toilet goes into a separate liquids tank which you dump separately at your convenience. This keeps urine out of the peat.

It all sounds a lot more complicate than it really is. It's a glorified bucket of kitty litter (which also works... that's what I used to use on my boat). The difference being you can use a composting toilet regularly for about a month before you need to take any action.

Got the concrete poured yesterday, there was light showers thru the day but most went around us.
this morning it's all cured up and looks great.

DHdmKIb.jpg

A3d29BA.jpg

Hopefully it will be finished next week, the building anyhow...then I need to run electric to a sub panel, outlets, drop cords and LED lights. then water to a utility sink and work benches, cabinets and some commercial shelving.

It'll be completed this weekend. I'll have some pictures it all finished up next week.
I can see I'm probably going to have to put gutters along the front porch to keep the front from washing out.
I ordered one hi bay LED light from amazon to give it a practice run and see how it looks, the model I got, I'll end up installing four or six.

Thanks Joe, it's been a long time coming, I've been saving and squirreling money away for 17 years for this shop. some was knife sales but most was working overtime at my day job. I've been saving knife sale money just for it, some of that will go towards the electric, benches, and other stuff going in it.
I plan on a central vac system with piping around the shop, some drop cords for free standing machines and last but not least a big free standing clean table to lay out sides of leather for sheath work.

I've waited this long so I'm putting in some careful layout of where things are going to go. :D

Thanks Joe, it's been a long time coming, I've been saving and squirreling money away for 17 years for this shop. some was knife sales but most was working overtime at my day job. I've been saving knife sale money just for it, some of that will go towards the electric, benches, and other stuff going in it.
I plan on a central vac system with piping around the shop, some drop cords for free standing machines and last but not least a big free standing clean table to lay out sides of leather for sheath work.

I've waited this long so I'm putting in some careful layout of where things are going to go. :D
Make it so, Steve. You've planned and waited so long, make it EXACTLY as you see it in your minds eye. Oh , and don't fret when the inevitable changes come along. It's all yours, sir...all yours.

It's done, here's a few pics. next I'm going to run electric to a 100 amp sub panel and run electric all thru the place,
build benches and build a loft for storing overflow from the house and not clutter the shop. :D

eOpsXsN.jpg

mZaIKCR.jpg

widjeO0.jpg

VcQ2gce.jpg

1OKj1To.jpg

6FNmmzZ.jpg

PzAX6p0.jpg

8aui7Za.jpg

xqUwMlk.jpg

It was hunting season while this was getting completed and I killed a deer so it was a good time.
making some jerky tomorrow...:D

Back