New Respirator.....I'm thinking this is the one!

I've tried full face respirators, but only two different ones. The main issue with them was being able to see what I was doing, especially when I was at the grinder.
Which models did you have?

Your experience has forced me to get moving and buy something better. I think forced air would provide the best protection. I would not be relying on a seal around my face to get maximum filtration.

Thank you for the link Mark.

Chuck, I found a brand new 3M BreatheEasy on ebay for a steal. The filters are a bit pricey as they have to be purchased in groups of three, but I have no complaint with the device. The only problem I've had with it is fogging up when breathing heavy or when the temp drops below freezing and at these times I revert back to my old 1/2 mask (a good one). The inside of the face sheild stays clean as no grit gets in there when you're working, and you can just wipe the dust off of the outside.

For me, this is a much better option than the 1/2 mask. I have a gotee, and while I was able to get a somewhat of a seal, it wasn't as good as I wanted it. Also, the 1/2 masks I've used tend to get very uncomfortable after a while, especially when wearing them tight enough to get a good seal. I've worn the Breathe Easy for 4-5 hours at a time with no discomfort. In fact, the air stream can be refreshing and the weight of the device is forgotten quickly after you put it on.

The main thing I've noticed is that when grinding materials like micarta or ironwood, I was always able to catch a whiff of the strong odors produced when working them while wearing a 1/2 mask. With the Breathe Easy, I have never even caught a whiff. It's amazing how powerful the smell is whne I'm taking it off to leave after not being exposed to it all those hours. Even when working with acetone, I don't smell anything.

The units are pricey, but how expensive is a lung transplant? That's the reasoning I used with my wife ;). Another nice thing is that all the parts on the unit are replaceable including the face sheild, and you can get sheild protectors that can peel off and be replaced as well.

--nathan

Last edited:
Just curious since I'm a new guy starting out. When do you guys use a respirator? What I mean is, is it only when you're working with certain materials, or at certain stages of making a knife? Or is it something you're using the entire time you're working?

If I come into my shop and it's been at least a day or two since I've been there, then I don't wear the respirator while just piddling around. However, anytime I turn the grinder on (whether for steel, wood, micarta, etc), the respirator goes on and stays on until I leave, even after the grinder is off. I don't have an exhaust fan, and my dust collecter doesn't get everything, so the small stuff stays airborn for hours. Also, I wear a respirator while hand finishing handles.

--nathan

That brings up another good point, I'm working inside now and was wondering about what you guys do for dust collection. I have a small shop vac I was thinking about rigging up where I'll be working with files, sanding, etc. Anyone else running something a bit more advanced?

I run a two stage dust collector. Basically it has a trash can with a cylconic seperator lid to knock out the big stuff and any sparks (it has a baffle that snubs 'em out), and then it goes to a collection/filter bag system. I just use it for wood/micarta collection now. The sparks from grinding go to a water bucket with dish soap in it to break the surface tension. A good dust collector will help a great deal, but it's never going to catch everything.

I cringe when I think of people working, especially with wood, inside their homes. Make sure there is no A/C return in the room you're working in, and keep the room isolated from the rest of the house. Fine wood dusts can be allergin sensitizers, and sometimes the first big warning you get can be severe. Be compulsive about keeping everything picked up, and for your shop vac, make sure you have a good filter on it.

--nathan

I'm thinking that if a certain knife makers' supply had a case of these, they could sell them quickly, on the recommendation of Mr. Caffrey. I'd buy one.

Sweet

I just got a lot of these from ebay. Doesn't come with the filters but I can get those at home depot. I have some in all sizes coming and will sell the rest here to help defray costs. Dan

i have been wearing the 3M dust mask for several days working in my buddys
sand blasting / powder coating / metal polishing company.

an extremly dirty / fine dust environment - and i love the 3M mask.
just make sure to drain your sweat out of it every few hours....

great product.

I had my first follow up yesterday, and the Docs released me to go back to work. Today I thought I would try out the new respirator, and I gotta say that I really like it. I finish ground three damascus blades wearing.
Its much more comfortable than the old one, and I can't smell or taste that ting of steel dust like I did with the old mask. I did find that the large size works best for me, and I'm pretty pleased with this model. If it keeps me from growing more weird stuff in my lungs, then I'll be super pleased with it.

Ed,

I must say thank you for bringing my attention to this respirator. I now have two of them and a fairly healthy supply of filters. Today was the first time I have had the opportunity to test it out and it worked like a champ! Not only did it work great, but it is comfortable and at no time did I feel the least bit labored while breathing. It gets a "A+" in my book!

I've been using mine for the past two weeks (ever since the Docs released me to go back to work). Today I wore it while prepping mosaic billets. Did a lot of MIG welding, and even though the air inside the shop was visibly foggy from all the welding fumes, I never smelled anything, nor had the "gritty" taste in my mouth when I was done. Your right about the wearability....the mask if very comfortable, and works far better than any other respirator I've used.

I've noticed that every time I tried using a disposable mask I would spend the next several hours blowing black crud out of my nose. With this new respirator, when I blew my nose afterwards I had 100% clear discharge. I know some people don't like hearing this, but it's deffinite proof to me that the respirator is providing the protection I need.

Was using mine yesterday when I was cleaning up some glue with acetone with it on I didn't smell a thing and very comfortable.

Whenever you end up blowing black mucus out of your nose after you quit working it's a clear sign that your respirator doesn't even start to do the job.

Doug Lester

Great thread Ed. Thank you!!! I've been pretty lax lately about wearing mine and reading this is a good slap in the face. I'm gonna require everyone in my shop get one tomorrow and wear them while working. (they've been using disposable masks) I'm also going to look into dust collection systems tomorrow. I've got a closed shop with retail area out front and we need it badly. Thanks again...

Ed i bought a 3m 6700 its really good I have another half mask but this full face is the way to go. doesnt fog up and the filters should work on the 7500 I bought mine for 40 bucks keep an eye out . My eyes dont burn because of the fine dust on certain woods .kellyw

Back