New Razor Design

AkWildman

IMAG0350.jpgIMAG0335.jpgIMAG0336.jpgThought I would show a little smilling razor I just designed and started.First I sketched it out and transfered it to some composite wood.Cut it out to see how it looked and felt in the hand.Next transferred it to some 1/4 inch thick O1 and shaped my profile.Just started the ruff grind on a 8 inch wheel that a recently got from Tracy and the 8 inch wheel should give me a near wedge grind.

Looking good! Making the wood prototype is a great idea for getting the feel of a knife, or razor in this case. Good luck on the progress and keep us posted.

I'm fascinated by straight razors. I want to make one, but I don't know how I'd test it. I'm 43 and I don't even have to shave every day! I guess I'll have to test it on my arm like I do all of my other knives!

So I didn't have a lot of time in the shop today but I did finish the ruff grind,tapered the tang rounded the top of the spine and jimmped the thumb saddle.Heat treat tomorrow.IMAG0355.jpgIMAG0354.jpgIMAG0353.jpgIMAG0352.jpgIMAG0351.jpg

Well I didn't get to heat treat today.Jimped the tang to match the thumb saddle and added a rope pattern to the spine.IMAG0357.jpgIMAG0359.jpgIMAG0358.jpg

Got home from Prudhoe bay Mon night and after catching up on a couple of things got a chance to do some heat treating.Made it through hardening with no problems.IMAG0386.jpg

That is starting to look sweet! I cannot wait to see the final product. Thanks for posting up the pictures. I'm following along. . .

DeMo

Back