new power hammer and anvils

bubba-san

This is real cool boys, I stopped by to see my old friend Tom Clark son of world famous Blacksmith tom Clark Sr. He gave me a truckload of steel and whatever . Several Hofi forging hammers , steel ,copper sheet, tongs, and several miniature anvils , several of which are handforged . One was by URI HOFI a well known Israeli Black smith . Also one carved from burled walnut I also have a question for you hammerheads what is this tool used for ?? The 3 metal ones are actual anvils made for jewelry I presume . I think the manual power hammer will come in handy, I guess thats how those makers make the little tiny knives :biggrin: .... Bubba Only a knifemaker would think of something like a miniature manual power hammer made from wood , when you crank the handle the little hammer goes tap tap tap.

Last edited:
No one has said it but I will..."Holy Crap Total Score there Babba-San". That mini helve hammer is sooooo frickin cool and those anvils...I don't know what to say. That is some sweet stuff right there man. Love to make a find like that. Guarantee that Uri anvil is worth it's weight in gold.

Could they be salesman's samples? At least the larger anvils, the trip hammer, and possibly the nail header. Though I guess that there is the possibility that the nail header was used to make small iron or soft brass nails.

Doug

I just got 2 more anvils one is a brass Peter wright , the other is a working anvil with a laminated top . Also got a Hofi 3 lb forging hammer designed by tom and Uri . It is signed by both of them with chisel . says TC -102 The peter wright has numbers like 1 0 10. I have the hammer in my shop . I will take a few pics of it later . here are the 2 anvils. on bottom it say Gw 96 125 and the other says GW 96 63 and polished very nicely . cool little anvils no casting marks .the nail header is the real thing it was used by tom to make iron nails . hole is about the size of your thumb , it weighs about 10 lbs ........ I also have these huge nails 18" long signed by a half a dozen smiths ......Heads are as big as a small grapefruit..... some of the anvils are working salesman samples as doug said I believe. The hammer feels so good in your hand like it belongs there !!!! I could not find any reference to Hofi hammer TC 105 . I think the TC refers to tom Clark . Tom signs his name with C with t in middle. Uigi is Uris nickname given to him by Tom . So his son says ....

Attachments

• mini anvils 001.jpg
    mini anvils 001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 8
  • mini anvils 002.jpg
    mini anvils 002.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 9
  • mini anvils 004.jpg
    mini anvils 004.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 11
  • mini anvils 005.jpg
    mini anvils 005.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 10
  • mini anvils 006.jpg
    mini anvils 006.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Bubba, The Hoffi hammer is to become a QUEEN safe!! That will be worth HUGe dollars one day, if not already,....errr....I mean I'll give ya 100 bucks for it, if it's not your style and all...., and I really hate it when you show your ignorance, EVERYONE knows the helve hammer is for shop Elves and or Gnomes......DUH! They use those iddy biddy anvils too, kinda heavy for them to pick up so you have to make sure they are positioned at the right height for your particular Elf/Gnome, provided you get to see them!! Suckers are fast, and I'm thinking magical! Seriously, a great score, that hammer is a one of a kind I'd bet, if not there are very few of them! With the 2 colloborating, it's got to be rare, keep on googling it, try different word/ name combinations to see what you might come up with, it could even be historical!!!! Good one for ya, Rex

Thank you for info , Tom has lived up the road from me for 7 years . I never knew his school was there its very hidden no signs . You know you are right I think i saw one of those elves , he had a bottle of bud , it was real tiny. Here are two more items ,do you know any of these smiths besides tom clark ? the 1.5 lb hot work hammer is old with some patina but, is sharp as hell and the head is smoth and rounded with no dents . I dont think it was ever used . The TC is an early sig by Tom . So says his son Tom Jr .

Attachments

• tomClark 001.jpg
    tomClark 001.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 5
  • tomClark 003.jpg
    tomClark 003.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3
  • tomClark 004.jpg
    tomClark 004.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 8
  • tomClark 008.jpg
    tomClark 008.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 10
  • tomClark 006.jpg
    tomClark 006.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 4
  • tomClark 009.jpg
    tomClark 009.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 4
  • tomClark 012.jpg
    tomClark 012.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Bubba that first pick looks more like an old style axe to me, kinda medieval looking, maybe Saxon? Or Maybe a hot cut chisel. With it being sharp I'll stick with it being a variety of axe. The 4th pic in that looks like a giant nail, is puzzling, but what I'm thinking of and I can't recall the name, is like an anvil that you would hammer into a stump, or something like that. Not positive, it just reminds me of one, I know the face of it isn't suited for that type of work, unless maybe it was used for rough work, on small pieces. I bet Wayne Coe would know, he's the Blacksmith Guru. Also with the pieces marked Ozark Blacksmithing school, you can call or email them and I'm sure there will be someone there that can answer some of your questions. Either way you SCORED, see what happens when you're nice! It comes back around, eventually, in some form or another. Karma at it's finest! Good for You! Rex

Thanks Rex , the axe is maybe a hot cut chisel ? The Ozark school of blacksmithing that was owned By tom Clark is now closed after Toms death
I think the big nail is commemorating a hammer-in I think .I dont recognise the initials ? I would bet they are a few old timers that were friends of Tom. you are right about the Karma thing for sure .Thanks for all your info and help , I appreciate it a lot ... Uri and howard Clark both were there for forging demo a few years ago and some training on the new 100 lb Saymak air hammers . Tom was a dealer . I asked Howard if he was related to tom , he said no but, I should be for as many times as Iv'e been here .......... Bubba

Last edited:
I think getting in touch with Howard would your next best bet, for faster results and of course more info. I guarantee there is info on the web about those pieces you just have to figure out the right key words to type in, for something like this, that is the hard part. Does Uri still live in the states? Or should I say is he still kicking? The videos I've watched of his he was pretty old, and I had no idea how old the vid's were. But if he is still alive, he would be able to give you some info as well. You really should at the very least contact Wayne Coe, just to see if he recognises any of the stamps, the man is on the road all the time, he attends more blacksmithing events than most knife makers attend knife events!

I did think of the axe being a hot cut chisel, but if you look at some of the old Saxon or European axes, that were used for wood, it has a similar look, plus I don't think a hot cutter would be so sharp, as it would either dull on impact once it cut the material or WORSE damage the anvil! It being sharp is what made me think axe, if not for that, I'd stuck with it being a hot cut chisel. I could be totally wrong, but it's just what it looks like from here. Keep digging Bro`, This is interesting! Rex

Back