New (OLD) tool, a pantograph!

Self Made Knives

Grabbed this guy today. Came with a t-slot table and a lettering table, tons of letters and dodads. Anybody good with these things? Where to get and what do you use for cutters? Its been in storage a few years, needs cleaned up but apears to be in great shape.20180821_175233.jpg

A pantograph is a device that you can take your stylus and follow a design/form and it will perfectly replicate it with the second arm! Or at least I think that is what it is!!!

Although now that I look at this one it appears to be quite sophisticated!!! So I could be wrong!

I haven't played with one is a good while but the one I ran in the past was used for engraving more than anything else. Play with it some and you'll like it. Cutters are just carbide dental cutter sized tools if I remember right.

Cut out pocket knife shield cavities and some cut the shields out using them.
Know a couple of girls making crosses and different designs out of mammoth ivory scraps. Their Dad is letting them earn some clothes for school money.

I’ve got a Deckel collecting dust that I need to get going. Unfortunately, it didn’t come with collets, so I still need to make a few of those. You can still buy them, but the price is absolutely ungodly. A set of collets would cost more than I paid for the machine.

Well, I found a great video on YouTube of a Deckel and I'd say mine is a direct copy of that design. I read that after WW2, people didn't want German made products, so copies started appearing elsewhere. Mine is an Alexander.

Well, I found a great video on YouTube of a Deckel and I'd say mine is a direct copy of that design. I read that after WW2, people didn't want German made products, so copies started appearing elsewhere. Mine is an Alexander.

I was gonna say, yours looks very similar to mine, with some minor differences. Will yours do 1:1? My biggest gripe with the deckel I have is that it only goes down to 2:1. Well, that, and the collets.

I know how to turn it on! Thats as far as i got, lol. It came with a few boxes of parts, letters, cutters etc, but all unsorted and dumped. It'll take me a while to get organized learn what it'll do. A video may come, but not soon. If anybody knows of a good website with training type info, please share.

I was gonna say, yours looks very similar to mine, with some minor differences. Will yours do 1:1? My biggest gripe with the deckel I have is that it only goes down to 2:1. Well, that, and the collets.
Not sure what ratios i have, the engraving on the scales is very faint and although stored indoors, has a very light coat of rust on them. I cant hardly make out the numbers. It'll clean up easily, just haven't had time yet.

Back