New Old Timer back

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
I can't remember the last time I posted any knives here. Finally got my interest back to work on a few knives the first of the new year.. Must have gotten my desire back to. Very slow anymore but old tricks are starting to come back. Ended up making 5 knives. Need to photograph the other two knives. Still working on the desire to make sheaths for them. It feels good to be making again!

All the knives have blades that I had already made but not finished. Two of the knives have sambar stag handles and one is deer shin bone I harvested from a wild game butch shop over 20 years ago. Not real sure about what the blade steel is but guessing a couple are 1084 and the smallest knife has some type of saw steel for the blade. The larger knife has a wrought iron guard and the other two knives have mild steel fittings.

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 121
Goid to see you Ray! Those knives look great. Especially digging the little hunter. I'm glad you found some spark.

Thanks for the welcome back.

I've been using Fiebring's Pro Oil leather dye on my antler handles for several years. Now this is the oil dye. Walnut is my favorite.

Here's a not so good photo of the other two knives and one of the ring nut system I started using years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 42
I can't remember the last time I posted any knives here. Finally got my interest back to work on a few knives the first of the new year.. Must have gotten my desire back to. Very slow anymore but old tricks are starting to come back. Ended up making 5 knives. Need to photograph the other two knives. Still working on the desire to make sheaths for them. It feels good to be making again!

All the knives have blades that I had already made but not finished. Two of the knives have sambar stag handles and one is deer shin bone I harvested from a wild game butch shop over 20 years ago. Not real sure about what the blade steel is but guessing a couple are 1084 and the smallest knife has some type of saw steel for the blade. The larger knife has a wrought iron guard and the other two knives have mild steel fittings.
Ray,
I don't come here often anymore but this made my day to see you are back at knifemaking. These look great!

I am surprised to see the amount of interest in my knives. Here's a fighter I finished up a week or so ago. The blade is 3 layers of saw steel made a good 10 years ago. Not sure why I didn't finish it off then. The blade is 10". This one has a sambar stag handle and the fittings are mild steel. As usual the photo isn't the best.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 38
I am surprised to see the amount of interest in my knives. Here's a fighter I finished up a week or so ago. The blade is 3 layers of saw steel made a good 10 years ago. Not sure why I didn't finish it off then. The blade is 10". This one has a sambar stag handle and the fittings are mild steel. As usual the photo isn't the best.

I'm back from doing the OKCA Show this past weekend. I had done a mustard patina on this fighting knife before I did the show. Entered it in the custom knife competition and it won best fighter of the show. Hope to get a better photo of it in a few weeks. Sold one knife Saturday after a very long day. Was getting pretty discouraged Sunday until the last few minutes of the show when a dealer purchased 6 knives for a nice sum. Turned out a much better show than I expected. Really was shocked at the amount of people that came through the doors Saturday and Sunday was better than average.

I received the photo of the fighter last night. Not sure who the photographer was that took the picture but I thought it was a good one. This is with the mustard patina finish.

Attachments

• AZ4A7709FightingKnife.jpg
    AZ4A7709FightingKnife.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 12
Back