New model prototype,opinions please.

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
My friend Jerry Halfrich has been making these for years and it is one of those things that I've been meaning to get around too for a long time. Well,I finally got a round TUIT.:biggrin:
This is a liner less,shadow pattern slipjoint with a sunken joint.
I will call this model,Big Trapper T&L (Thin&Light),but don't interpret that to mean weak and flimsy,this is a serious pocket knife for serious users.
The frame halves are .132" carbon fiber,the Sandvik 14C28N spring is .075" thick,the Sandvik 14C28N blade is .055" thick. See what I mean by thin?
This knife weighs 1.2 oz. See what I mean by light?
The flat ground blade is 3 1/4" long,the knife is 4 1/4" long closed.
I make and use stainless washers for tang clearance,and the escutcheons,pins and shield are stainless,did I hear someone say "low maintenance"?
Y'all take a look and please give me your thoughts on this type of knife and this knife in particular. And come see it at The Knifemakers Guild Show,Louisville Ky.,August,1st -3rd.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 109
That's nice - and I also like belly on a blade. As usual, your GREAT workmanship. Go Calvin!

Ken H>

Look's nice and I'm sure there's a market for it, but I personally prefer the more traditional slipjoints

Looks great to me! If I were going to change anything it would be to use a little thicker steel for the blade so the nail nick could be a little deeper but that might detract from the thin and light mojo you were going for. Very nice work!

I like it more than the "traditional" pattern,( the belly in the blade makes sense for these kind of pocket knifes), and the materials complete it with some fresh attitude.
Nice!

Very nice, a little too much belly for me also. Where are these going to be priced or maybe i shouldn't ask that here?

Jeff

Thank you all for your compliments and criticsism. It has been well recieved by everyone I've shown it to and I personally love it. I'll take it to the Guild show and if it does not sell I'll stick it in my pocket for a time of personal field testing. If it does sell I'm going to build myself one.

Very appealing knife all around- like everything about it. Would be very easy to carry (backpacker, tactical, fishing, etc) market.

Calvin, You keep producing interesting, great looking knives, this one looks like it would very useful and easy to carry especially when you don't want anything too big in your pocket. Dan

Thank you all for your compliments and criticsism. It has been well recieved by everyone I've shown it to and I personally love it. I'll take it to the Guild show and if it does not sell I'll stick it in my pocket for a time of personal field testing. If it does sell I'm going to build myself one.

Calvin
That's exactly the application I thought of.

A hunter will grab that one up for a Pocket Caper/Skinning knife that can also be a wonderful EDC.

Back