New long awaited tool in the shop

AkWildman

So last year I tried to purchase a 7x14 lathe directly from Grizzly,well after finding out what they wanted to charge me for shipping I canceled the order.I was recently looking through the local want adds for a used lathe on a whim I goggle searched and found out that you could purchase one through Home depot and they would deliver to your door for 50 dollars. I went ahead and purchased the 8x16 that I had originally wanted as its definitely a step up as it has actual metal gears andis much more versatile. I had to take a lot of it apart to clean it up and while I was at it added a quick change tool post. I've had it about a week and have had limited time to fool with it but made some corby bolts and a nice lanyard bead .FB_IMG_1573181303658.jpg

Very nice! I'd love to have one of those. But I have neither the room or the money. So many things you can do with a lathe.

That looks like a very nice machine. I just purchased an Emco lathe scond hand so starting down the route of learning to use it. Do you have some specific projects in mind yet?

It’s not a great photo but here it is

View attachment 70762
I'm planning on making decorative nuts ,but beyond that there are a bunch of projects to do that this will come in handy for especially on the homestead.

I have an old Atlas 618 that I need to set up. It's old school, no quick change tool posts or nothing like that!!

I have an old Atlas 618 that I need to set up. It's old school, no quick change tool posts or nothing like that!!
I'm sure you could retrofit it and put one on it,its sure a nice feature to be able to change tools without having to shim thg them or indicate center every time.

That's always the "Gothcha" with a new machine.....the tooling! I think my last lathe cost me as much in tooling as the machine itself.... but it's well worth it!

I REALLY!! REALLY!! Want to get a lathe, unfortunately, The lathe I would like would cost a small fortune as I want one large enough that I could chamber barrel blanks and contour full length rifle barrels. OH How I want to mess with building rifles!!!

I REALLY!! REALLY!! Want to get a lathe, unfortunately, The lathe I would like would cost a small fortune as I want one large enough that I could chamber barrel blanks and contour full length rifle barrels. OH How I want to mess with building rifles!!!
Yep. Same here. I've done some minor gunsmithing in the past and I've looked at gun lathes. Probably talking a minimum of 15K for that kind of a lathe. Then there's the tooling :eek:

Nice lathe.
i just used mine today to make a step pin for indexing and drilling a folder frame. Something like a hole center punch. Couldn’t have completed it accurately with out it.

Nice lathe.
i just used mine today to make a step pin for indexing and drilling a folder frame. Something like a hole center punch. Couldn’t have completed it accurately with out it.
Very cool,a good friend of mine has a nice lathe and a full size Bridgport. I have a small mill and now the lathe .I've found that I dont use these machines every day there are times when they are indispensable !

Back