New little utility/fighter/whatever you want to call it

Discussion in 'Custom Knife Forum' started by Daniel Rohde, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Daniel Rohde

Daniel Rohde Well-Known Member

Hey Guys! Just finished a new pattern and want your thoughts!

Overall is 8 1/2"
    Blade is 3 3/4"
    Steel is 1095...I'm gonna start using some newer steels in my knives here soon also..just an FYI

Here she is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was when I was shaping it...gives a good idea of the wood color
    [​IMG]

I'd really love some thoughts on the design! it was a fun one at least.

2. Self Made Knives

Self Made Knives Well-Known Member

Looks great to me, bet it feels good in the hand too. That wood almost looks like cammo micarta or something, really interesting. I also really like the integrated lanyard loop, great execution.

3. CMS3900

CMS3900 Well-Known Member

Man that's sweet looking. What kind of wood is that?

4. Ty Adams

Ty Adams KNIFE MAKER

That looks awesome Daniel. I like how the pin material almost looks like part of the burl.

5. John Wilson

John Wilson Well-Known Member

simply beautiful! I can't get over that handle. Stunning.

6. John Wilson

that hamon line is really nice. a departure from your usual edge quench. very nice.

7. BrandantR

BrandantR Well-Known Member

I think it looks fantastic, Daniel. I agree with Anthony about that lanyard loop. That's a great idea. All around a beautiful knife.

8. Rick Otts

Rick Otts Well-Known Member

That is one HOT looking knife really love the design and the handle stands out!

9. Daniel Rohde

Thanks a ton guys! I appreciate it! feels good to be on the winning half of a knife!

Thanks John! but it is actually a edge quench still...not a clayed hamon.

10. John Wilson

really? did you etch it differently? i'm loving the ghosting along the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Justin Presson

Justin Presson Well-Known Member

Nailed it! The lanyard loop sets it over the top for me, I need to try that one of these days.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

12. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

Aesthetically I do not care for the shape of the handle....however your ability to "Theme" a knife is amazing to me...and the craftsmanship you put into your blades is impeccable. The blade itself is absolutely lovely!

You are one of my favorite knife makers and your creativity seem to make you constantly stretch and grow. I only recently found out how young you are....I was flabbergasted! Then I called my 14 year old son who is just beginning to make knives up to my office to see some of your work. After showing him the details and designs (which he loved) I told him, "Oh yeah...this maker is 18 years old..." This was a great encouragement to him as he no longer thinks he has to be 60 to acquire fine knife making skills! It's one thing to hear dad say it...another to see it in action!

Thank you for sharing

13. Daniel Rohde

Nope, I treated it the same...I'm a fan to BTW:p

Thanks Justin! Its really a nice addition to most knives....I can't wait to see you back in the shop! I loved watching your work

Thanks Ted! Fair enough:) The handle is a pretty aggressive shape...not everyone can like it-LOL. I'm so humbled to hear those words! thank you so much! That is really encouraging. That also very cool to hear about your son! It really just takes patience and practice and a resolve to not let "good enough" be good enough...though you'll never make completely good enough haha