New liner lock pattern for drill patterns

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
The last folder I made for myself went missing from my luggage on the flight to Blade show. I finally got a chance to make a replacement.

CPM20cv blade 1/8" thick flat ground
black canvas Micarta scales
.090" Ti liners
Ti pivot head with 1/4" pivot
Ti scales screws
pocket clip with tip up carry
a beast at 8 3/4" long, 1 1/2" wide, 3/4" wide with the clip

This is my first pattern in a series of folder patterns that will be used to create hardened pattern/drill plates for others to use in making their own folders. Someone that is experienced in designing and making liner lock folders wouldn't need these but the vast majority of knife makers have never made one and this should help them get a solid foothold into making liner lock folders.

I use Solidworks to design the folder and then build a proto-type to test it.

Basically, the idea is to create a hardened SS pattern for the liner and also the blade. The holes will be located and lock up geometry done already. You would use the pattern to outline your liner, scales and blade. Then use the pattern to drill the holes by clamping the pattern to the material and drilling through the hardened pattern as a drill guide. There would still be a lot of work left to do but the repeatability, lock geometry and hole placement is made several times easier with the drill pattern. The lock bar can be cut with a typical rotary tool or drill press/vise through the slot already cut into the hardened pattern. You should get a nice clean cut. We will include step by step instructions, plenty of pictures and a parts list. I've got a few more variations to work up and test and then we will start production.

liner lock large.jpg

Last edited:
This is a fantastic idea for guys like me who want to build a folder but have never attempted it. Could you also include a "recommended tool list" with it, to help with sourcing for proper sized counterbores, etc?

This is a fantastic idea for guys like me who want to build a folder but have never attempted it. Could you also include a "recommended tool list" with it, to help with sourcing for proper sized counterbores, etc?

yep...

I hope this is a successful product with more iterations in the works. I'd like a 'small' sized version. If anything I wonder if these can be scaled down on a copy machine, though you lose the benefit of the hardened Steel pattern.

This is a great idea and will be a big help in easing the jump to trying a folder. I too have been wanting to but having a difficult time getting beyond reading about it and the design issues.

i just started making friction folders and would love to be able to transition into liners. count me in on this. you are the man.

liontribe

Tracy, Great idea, will you be using interchangeable drill bushings for the pilot hole and then for the reamed holes in the blade and in the liners? Dan

Tracy, Great idea, will you be using interchangeable drill bushings for the pilot hole and then for the reamed holes in the blade and in the liners? Dan

short answer is no. I looked at drill bushings and it would really drive up the cost -- like a lot. Also the edge clearance needed for the profile wouldn't allow a drill bushing.

How is this project coming along. Looking forward to start making a folder. This would get me going in the correct direction.

I have a small first production run of templates being processed now. We should have them in a couple weeks.

Dear Tracy

First i must thank you for your excellent customer service and shipping to the UK, and also for a great idea!!
The templates will encourage lots of people to have a go, which is excellent!!!

All the best

Paul

Back