New Kydex Fixed Blade Sheath Design Prototype

K Robinson

This sheath has been in the works for a few months in that I have only been able to work on it an hour or two a week.
The new design needs only the two screws used to mount the carry method, Tek Lok or Molle and the two mounting screws are located on the back of the sheath where they are out of sight.
With the screws re located to the back the sheath it can be slimmed down to the width of the blade yet the sheath is as strong as if it were riveted from top to bottom, the sheath is as strong as any sheath riveted or screwed together.
The prototype pictured flares out from just wider than the blade to just over 1/2" at the bottom to give a bit of style but future idea's do not have to be designed around any kind of hardware which is very exciting to me.
Sheath is Level II retention, I have not attached a carry method so that the lines of the sheath are more easily seen but the two screws seen on the back of the sheath is where the Tek or Molle Lok's attach.
I have always been of the mindset that form always follows function so this design does not take from the former to give to the latter.
If anyone has any questions on the integrity of my retention systems please ask anyone that owns one, Hopefully someone with one will reply to this thread.
I would appreciate any input from fellow forum members, I look forward to all of your thoughts.

Thanks in advance all that take the time to view and comment.

K Robinson

Attachments

• DSCN0873.jpg
    DSCN0873.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0875.JPG
    DSCN0875.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0874.jpg
    DSCN0874.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 56
Are you making these for any paticular knife? Or will you make them to fit any fixed blade knife? Any Length Mins or Max?
It looks like it would work well! The most important question I have for you is how noisy is it to unsheath the knife one handed?

Thanks.
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Laurence:
I will begin incorporating the new design on all knives as soon as my current orders are filled or the customers approve the new design, I do not foresee any issues with blade length and the new design with the exception of anything under 2".
The noise level with the new design is unchanged so when sheathing a knife there may be a click depending on how fast the knife is pushed home.
SC Knives/Rhino Knives/Lagrange:
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Thanks

What is your average turn around on a custom order? I have a bowie knife that would look great in one of your sheaths!

Kevin, great ideas and great work!

question on the molle attachemnts, do you think there is enough width to the clip, to keep it stable? I am wondering if a single molle clip would be wide enough to keep the knife from wiggling too much.

Brad:
For the above pictured knife I would never use only one Molle Lok due to the size and weight of the knife, I would use at minimum two small Lok's and lean towards two large.
I have on a number of orders used one small Lok on smaller thinner knives when customers insist due to the lack of room on their gear, I always inform them that there will be some side to side play but the feedback has always been positive.

Back