New hobby maker....first knife

So I have been very interested in knife making for some time. I know this is out of order, but I decided some time ago I wanted to build my own grinder, so I did that. I had already posted this before sometime ago so many might have seen it.
IMG_0281%u0025255B1%255D.JPG

Than I decided I needed to have a heat treat oven, so I built that.
IMAG0019.jpg

Ok, so no more delaying....time to make a knife. It has lots of little flaws that I know I will need to improve on, but it is a decent working knife. Holy cow grinding by hand is not easy. Big respect to those who do.

Intended to be a bushcraft style knife for my outdoor hobbies. 1084 carbon steel, 1/8in thick, 1in wide, 4in blade, 8.5in overall with micarta handle. Tempered at 400F. So far, it holds an edge well but I haven't had a chance to bang on it yet.
.jpg

The bug is surely bit me and I look forward to improving my skills. Thanks for all the great posts, ideas and good people on this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0281%u0025255B1%255D.JPG
    IMG_0281%u0025255B1%255D.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 170
  • .jpg
    .jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 170
way to jump in with both feet!
Nice job on the knife and the grinder AND the oven..

Very well done! Good to see you over here too. BCUSA and KnifeDogs are my two favorite places.

Excellent job on the grinder and oven too. I believe we will be seeing some nice work coming from you.

Great work with the knife and the tools!!

Youre one of us now *heeeehehehehehe*

Seriously tho! Welcome! Cant wait to see more of your work!

Hi Brian. Your bushcraft knife is straight forward and clean looking. I would have liked to see more pictures and some close ups so I could see more detail. I'm especially interested in what looks like two tubes holding on your scales. The tubes look larger than I am accustomed to seeing.
You certainly have a couple of cool tools there. I built my first knife with some hand files and heat treated it with a torch.
You're off to a great start.

Hmmm?
my biggest correction for you is that your shop is too clean!

Now get out there and make some more knives till you have dust covering everthing!
:biggrin:

Great work! keep at it!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks guys!

Steven, you must have seen my post over there for the knife :) My interest in knife making comes from using them primarily. Just found that forum, but I love it.

Calvin, I used 1084. My next one will be O1. Found some O1 at the local salvage yard. Kind of thick (5/16") but I will make some behemoth truck/survival/paper weight knife out of it to work on my skills.

Eric, my photography skills are lacking to say the least. All I have is this cellphone camera. Will get some more shots up tonight. Would love advice. The tubes are 1/2" OD stainless. It allows me to put a lanyard in the front or back and potentially lash it to a stick if I ever wanted to. Not to mention it looks different and cuts some weight.

Brian

Back