New Handle Material

curtisk

I thought I would share a recent find with you gents. I decided to try some new handle material called “fauxcarta”. You know that funky smell that g10 and Micarta (yes, you can smell it even through a mask) emit when worked, well this stuff doesn’t have it. The texture is a bit different and it polishes out nicely too. The fella I bought it from, Jeff Petzke (Jephco 254-423-4148) said it was non-toxic, which is a huge relief seeing that everything else we mess with IS. I have been told that exposure to phenolics will make all your kids be born naked and bald headed. Just a warning. Curtis

DSC_0004.jpg

I think it is just as rigid as g10, though I have not run any tests with it. On a "textured/scalloped handle you will notice the lack of that micro fiber feel you get with g10 or Micarta, and that would be my only "complaint" about this stuff. This is straight from Jeff on what the stuff is: "OK, here's the straight poop on Fauxcarta: The base for this product is a by product of Corn stalks that are processed into microcrystalline cellulose ( sometimes used in the Pharmaceutical Industry as a binder for pills) combined with polymer resins (edible) in a proprietary process. This product is used in military vehicle manufacture (MAXX Pro and RG-33) to absorb shocks from explosions (IED) ."

I think it is just as rigid as g10, though I have not run any tests with it. On a "textured/scalloped handle you will notice the lack of that micro fiber feel you get with g10 or Micarta, and that would be my only "complaint" about this stuff. This is straight from Jeff on what the stuff is: "OK, here's the straight poop on Fauxcarta: The base for this product is a by product of Corn stalks that are processed into microcrystalline cellulose ( sometimes used in the Pharmaceutical Industry as a binder for pills) combined with polymer resins (edible) in a proprietary process. This product is used in military vehicle manufacture (MAXX Pro and RG-33) to absorb shocks from explosions (IED) ."

Well Curtis,
The stuff sounds safe, non-toxic and delicious to eat! I will have to try some, On my knives of course.
Do you know if it has the official NSF rating?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

very nice,but to your knife i am curious about the screw, had a ideal to do something like that and was wandering if we had same ideal?

I am not sure about the NSF rating, though the addition of 1 cup of milk can raise the calorie count to 120. Franklin, I just sent you a message via your facebook account. Curtis

Back