New guy in Arkansas

Self Made Knives

Hello, I've been lurking around for quite a while, here and on other blade forums. I'm still new at knife making and have been learning a lot from the forums. I think I've got into it far enough now, that I may have something to contribute every now and then.

I made my first knife by hand, profiled with HF bandsaw and angle grinder, filed the bevels with filing jig I made. It turned out great (at least I think so!) but it showed me how much that method sucks, so...

Then I built a belt grinder, got an old pottery kiln for heat treating, made a couple more fixed blades, built my own electro-etcher, etc. and I'm working on my first folder now.

If there any knife maker's clubs around the Ft. Smith and Fayetteville areas, I like to join, so let me know.

Anthony

Last edited:
Just in your neck of the woods, spent the night in Fort Smith on the way to Eureka Spring….just so we could stop at A. G. Russell Knives in Rogers. Cool place if you have not been there, nice show room full of knives. I ask, but they do not do shop tours.

Then we did a day trip out of Eureka to Branson. While there, we went to the Case knife store, a great place to visit, but leave the credit cards at home, or at least the wife.:biggrin: We also went to the Sheppard of the Hill market and talked to the local knife maker, Gary Mulkey. He won the “historically Inspired Award” at the 2014 Arkansas Custom Knife Show. Nice guy, talked to my son for over an hour. Showed us some of his current projects, talk about nice. If you are ever in the area, stop by for a visit.

They are having a knife show there at Sheppard of the Hills at the end of September, 27th and 28th. I can’t remember everything, but he said like 30 venders, 4 forges, cutting computation and demos all day both days. Could be worth the 3 hour or so drive for you.

In case you do not have it, here is a link to the Arkansas Knife makers group: http://www.arkansasknifemakers.com

Thanks for the info, I'll put it on my calendar. I first thought about making knives nearly 20 years ago, when my brother made some knives out of old files, but life got in the way. Back then, there was an active knife making club in the Ft. Smith area, but I can't seem to find anything about it now.

Back