New guy from Wisconsin

hddriver1

Hey all!!:lol:
New guy just starting out at the tender age of 51. Building a 2x48 grinder from one of the other knife forums, I was fortunate to have a friend be able to give me a little water jet time. I may even be able to pay it forward depending on how it goes. He cut me two out and if I don't destroy one making it I'll put it up when I get this one built. I realized how much I destroyed brain matter trying to get this thing together:sad:. I'm a friend of Dr. Bob's if you know what I mean, if you don't, sorry it's kinda an inside thing. Any way, I will be practicing the stock removal option since a smithy shop is out of the question for my neighborhood and I don't want to suffocate in my basement:cool: I am starting on my first blank now but have no idea how long it will take to get done, it all depends on the grinder 'cause I'm too lazy for a file:shush:
Thanks all
Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pat and welcome,one thing to remember this place is family freindly and we have everyone from young lady's to Grampas on here and we don't use references like fng or drug use.There are lots of great discussion and info here and best of all its free so please follow the ruels.I'm no angel being a vet but things change and now I'm a ordained pastor.So off my soap box :-D. Welcome ! Paul

Hi Pat and welcome,one thing to remember this place is family freindly and we have everyone from young lady's to Grampas on here and we don't use references like fng or drug use.There are lots of great discussion and info here and best of all its free so please follow the ruels.I'm no angel being a vet but things change and now I'm a ordained pastor.So off my soap box :-D. Welcome ! Paul

Wilco.
Pat

Welcome from another wis boy. sounds like a plan get that grinder cutting some steel!!! I am from Stoughton were abouts are you if you need help give me a yell.

Welcome from another wis boy. sounds like a plan get that grinder cutting some steel!!! I am from Stoughton were abouts are you if you need help give me a yell.

Hi,
Thanks for the offer, I'm in Pleasant Prairie and the grinder is giving me fits.LOL. It's tough with out a shop to put together. Everytime I have to make a correction I have to wait until I can make it into work and do it on my lunch break although I think this weekend I am just going to bring to work and try to get it done.
Pat

Well, switched from a 2x48 to a 2x72.It's working out fairly well. I have around $300.00 into it, the most expensive part being the platen which I bought from KMG. I bought $90.00 in tube steel (including shipping), 36" of 1.5" and 2.0" by .250 wall tube. Found a piece of 8" by 20" C channel in the luger at work and the boss said I could have it. Found the plans here http://dcknives.blogspot.com/p/2-x-72-belt-grinder.html for it. Just have to get a roller for adjusting belt and trim two pieces when I got ahead of myself. It's ugly 'cause I can't weld but it'll do the trick and the price is great.
Pat

Back