New guy checking in...

ssgwhite

Hello all my name is Anthony, I am currently stationed in Germany and getting into the new hobby of knife making. I'll be using the most basic of tools and trying to make a few gifts before xmas. Looks like a ton of info lies in these forums; I appreciate all who have contributed. My first makes will be from annealed 1095 blanks (i know its cheating). Thanks ahead of time for any info or answers you may post!

First of all, welcome to the pack! It's always good to have another servicemember among our ranks.

1095 is a great steel! It happens to be one of my favorite. With that being said, are you planning to heat treat yourself, or use a professional heat treat service? If using a professional, I highly recommend Peter's Heat Treat. Brad will take really good care of you. You can find their information posted in their subforum under "Services".

As for using pre-cut blanks, it's not cheating. Are they preground or just blanks? If they are just blanks, it's really nothing more than having a waterjet company cut blanks for you. Just make sure you are getting them from a reliable source such as Boss Dog's USA Knifemaker Supply. The reason I say this is because there are a few suppliers out there (such as some found on ebay) that are reselling overseas cut products that you have no guarantee of the material used. Be sure you are buying from a reputable supplier. Though it may cost you a few dollars more in the beginning, it will save you a lot of money and frustration in the future. I PROMISE!

Feel free to post your progress and ask questions whwn you need help. We have tons of experience here and makers who are more than willing to give advice to help you along your journey.

I purchased pre-cut blanks from usaknifemaker.com. I plan to heat treat myself in a coffee can forge. I'm going to check the scrap bin at the motorpool for anything handy to make a furnace. Thanks for the welcome!

Back