New Grinding Belts

Once you have made the transition from trying to get another blade from a belt to useing tham as needed with a corresponding pile of throwouts you will be amazed at how much easier and more accurate the knifemaking can get. Old and therefore stretched belts will not track as well as a new belt so plunge lines are effected as well.

Every time I struggle with a grind, I switch to a new belt and it gets better.

Grabbing a new belt is easier than throwing an old one away.

Amen Tracey! The old ones do have a place. I often rip them into strips to use in shaping those hard to get to areas! Also use them on a flat sanding block I have for woodwork! However they will make you screw-up on a grind. That is where the new belt comes into play!

wash them first. had a bunch that needed to go, literally out the shop door. got rained on. when dry had some grit back. worth a try eh
I'm pretty sure these are dead and will not come back to life. Sanding African blackwood and other 'stuff' has rendered them trash pile worthy. I might have a few that I'll try the gum stick on. They might have some life left for shaping handles.

I guess it depends on the type wood. Ringed Gidgee and African Blackwood makes quick work of belts of any type.
that is why we are surrounded with woods full of oak, maple, hickory, dogwood, honey locust, walnut, and gum. so you don't have to work with wood that sounds like a skin condition.

that is why we are surrounded with woods full of oak, maple, hickory, dogwood, honey locust, walnut, and gum. so you don't have to work with wood that sounds like a skin condition.
True and being a wood worker am well aware of all the types wood available.
I enjoy using woods from many different places and happen to like the ‘skin condition’ wood very much.

Ebony is different to blackwood and works more easily. african blackwood is an oily wood that gums up sandpaper etc ebony in comparrison is a relatively easy wood to work.

Yeah I just tossed a bunch of belts out last week.I just used the old ones for profiling.But in the end they weren't good for that.Been busy the last week no shop time hope to get the oven wired up this week.

These are your friend, when it comes to sanding. 1535720135571.pnghttps://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-sgvh...ing_Stick__54919.1525701057.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

I use to use them when I did cabinet and furniture work! However they to work with grinding steel as well. Use it often, as often as you think about it. Takes two seconds to lay the blade aside and grab the cleaner. Reach back around and grab the blade and go back to work. It is heat on the belt that causes the belt to start clogging. So let your belt do the work!!

If you wait till the belt is plugged to clean, you will get some of it off, but the damage to the belt has been done!! I use a thin piece of hardwood backer and glue them with something like liquid nails or epoxy! The backer allows for you to put it too the belt and even lay even pressure. It also keeps the knuckle's out of the belt!You are not trying to stall the motor but it does take resistance!

Back