New full tang axe work in progress (The Huntsman)

Benr.t

I figured I would share a new axe design I am working one with you guys. This one is more bushcraft/woods oriented. The first batch will be made from my all time favorite carbon steel for tough knives, L6. It takes a wicked edge and is super durable. These will be thinner than my other axes at just under a 1/4". This will make them considerably lighter and they will cut even deeper.

Here is my drawing, I should have some progress pics to share in a few weeks. OAL will be about 11 3/4" with a 3 3/4" cutting edge.

That looks super nice, if it were me I'd put a bit more of a nob on the end of the handle, but that's purely personal preference. A very functional design overall.

If you put a spike on that it would be one mean wreckin' machine. I would be all over that as a 'hawk. For it's intended purpose, looks like a rock solid design.

Thanks guys!

I finally am making some progress on these!

I designed these with hunters and bushcraft in mind. I have had lots of requests for a lighter axe geared more towards wood cutting than tactical purposes.
This version is made from all time favorite steel for toughness and being able to get scary sharp! L6. They are right at .220" thick.

Drilling holes for the handle scales.

Cleaning up the profile on a super high tech work rest. : )

Rough Ground and ready for my heat treat!

That wheel looks oddly familiar!? ;)

Beautiful work sir! Love to get my hands on one, one of these days!

I finished up the first two today!!

This one has black Tero Tuf scales (Crazy durable stuff).

I don't do very many hawks/axes with smooth scales, but I know some people prefer them. The hand filed groove adds some texture and style.

Here is another one in scalloped OD green g10. This one has a little character in the mill scale on the head, I may just keep or sell it at a discount.

There is a piece of fuzz or something on the lower tube in this pic.

Here is how the sheaths are setup.

Back