New Folder

BrandantR

This is the latest folder to come out of my little shop. I really like how this design turned out. It was also my first experience with CPM154, and I must say, I like it! I had a little trouble with getting the Damasteel bolsters etched just right, but with the helpful people on this forum, I think I pulled it off. Check out my website in my signature for a little better description and a couple more photos. Thanks for looking.

DSC_0024.jpgDSC_0027.jpg

Nice Folder! Do you find the sharp corners of the bolsters dig into your leg or wear a hole in your pocket when you carry the knife? I have a knife with a pocket clip that worn a hole in my jeans right above the bolster. I hit it on a water cooled diamond wheel and removed the points, no more holes in pants.

Nice Folder! Do you find the sharp corners of the bolsters dig into your leg or wear a hole in your pocket when you carry the knife? I have a knife with a pocket clip that worn a hole in my jeans right above the bolster. I hit it on a water cooled diamond wheel and removed the points, no more holes in pants.

Sharp corners can dig in, especially if the jeans fit a little tightly. The corners on this knife are not sharp and have been rounded off for that reason. Nothing there to jab you in the leg.

Very nice! I really like the flow of this knife. CPM-154 being is a favorite here!

How did you like the Damasteel? Can you share what you had to do to etch it?

Dan

Hi Brandant, Really elegant knife. The scales are really beautiful, would you mind telling me what they are and where they came from.

All the best Paul

Hi Just looked at your website - stunning!! There is an awful lot of skill and time in your knives. I now know what the scale are, thank you.

Paul

Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate them.

Very nice! I really like the flow of this knife. CPM-154 being is a favorite here!

How did you like the Damasteel? Can you share what you had to do to etch it?

Dan

Dan, the Damasteel worked really quite well. It ground easily and polished up nicely. I admit, I struggled quite a bit to get the etch looking half decent. It's still not as nice as what I've seen others achieve. I polished it off a couple of times before I got something that I could live with. I used sulfuric acid for the etchant. I found that heating it up to about 100 degrees really helped. I still have a little more of the same bar, so I'll give it a go again in the near future.

Hi Brandant, Really elegant knife. The scales are really beautiful, would you mind telling me what they are and where they came from.

All the best Paul

Paul, I'm glad you found your way to my website. I'm just getting it up and working and plan to start posting WIP's of each knife I make. For those of you who are still wondering about the scales, they are stabilized spalted maple burn that have been dyed green and black that I purchased from Boss Dog himself. The photos really don't do them justice. The have some great depth to them and amazing texture and color.

...the Damasteel worked really quite well. It ground easily and polished up nicely... ...I used sulfuric acid for the etchant. I found that heating it up to about 100 degrees really helped. I still have a little more of the same bar, so I'll give it a go again in the near future.

Did you do a heat treat on the steel first? Reading the data sheet recommends heat treat for corrosion resistance, but maybe that makes it harder to etch???
On the datasheet Hcl at 37% is listed for a high contrast etch. Muriatic Acid is about 20% Hcl, so that might be worth a try. At least it's available in hardware stores...

I'm waiting for some damasteel to arrive. If I learn anything about the etching process, I'll be sure to let you know!

Thanks!
Dan

Did you do a heat treat on the steel first? Reading the data sheet recommends heat treat for corrosion resistance, but maybe that makes it harder to etch???
On the datasheet Hcl at 37% is listed for a high contrast etch. Muriatic Acid is about 20% Hcl, so that might be worth a try. At least it's available in hardware stores...

I'm waiting for some damasteel to arrive. If I learn anything about the etching process, I'll be sure to let you know!

Thanks!
Dan

Dan, since I used the Damasteel for just the bolsters, I did not heat treat them and that may very well have effected my etching results. I'd be very interested in your results and hope you will share. Like you said, muriatic acid is readily available and I might try it for the next go round. Good luck to you and thanks for commenting.

Back