New flipper progress pics

RangerMadeKnives

KNIFE MAKER
Since I'm new here, I wasn't really sure where to put this but, I felt like this was the best place. This is really not going to be a WIP; just some progress pics and some photos of the finished knife when I get there.

I've been carrying around my third folder in my pocket for about three months now. It is a tactical liner lock flipper with textured G10 scales and a tanto grind blade. It has been taken apart, reworked, tweaked and beat on until I am finally satisfied with what I've got. I've made a couple other folders since but, now I think it is time to make another of this design.

This knife has a blade of AEB-L, Titanium liners and backspacer, Zirconium bolsters and Desert Ironwood scales. This first pic was from the other day when I started on it.

Untitled by Bob, on Flickr

Today after contouring the bolsters and scales.

One side with the bolsters bead blasted and heat colored.

I've got the blade wrapped and ready for HT in the morning. With any luck I can at least get the blade finished tomorrow.

Bob

Bob, Enjoying seeing this one develop. The fit up with the ironwood and Zirc is exceptional. As well as the contrast between the two.

Thanks for sharing

See you soon

Bing

Am I the only one thinking, what in the heck is zirconium? It's looking awesome so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

Am I the only one thinking, what in the heck is zirconium? It's looking awesome so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

Zirconium is a very interesting metal. It is about five times the cost of titanium, machines and grinds easier than Ti, and when heated to a red hot glow will cool to a nice black color. For knifemakers, there is one very important characteristic that cannot be taken lightly, the dust is extremely flammable. The metal produces bright white sparks when grinding so it is also very easy to ignite that highly flammable dust and once ignited it burns very quickly and hotly. Constant diligence is a must. I keep a water bucket under the grinder to catch the majority of the dust and I brush away any accumulation on flat surfaces frequently. Still, I had a flash fire on my t-shirt the other day while shaping these bolsters. I was shaping on the flat platen and standing very close so I could look straight down the belt. Most of the dust was going into the water bucket but, a little bit was kicking up and depositing on my shirt. The good news is the stuff burns so fast that it didn't have enough time to ignite the shirt. Fun stuff!

Finished the backspacer. Maybe not everyone's taste but I feel it actually accentuates the smooth lines of the knife and feels really secure in hand, especially with a reverse grip. Should get close to finishing this today.

Bob

Good stuff Bob and good info on the zirc I had wondered my self about that metal glad Anthony asked. I like the looks of the backspacer alot, how does it feel though?

Finished it today (well, except for sharpening) and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I also finished up this small gentleman's linerlock today. It features Randy Haas San Mai, Zirconium bolsters, backspacer and thumbstud, and some mammoth Ivory from Mark Knapp for the scales and thumbstud insert.

Bob, Looks like you have this folder thing down. Love both of them. Please bring to Blade I would love to get to handle them. :thumbup:

See you in a couple of days

Bing

I like 'em both!

Thanks Don, I really appreciate that.

Bob, Looks like you have this folder thing down. Love both of them. Please bring to Blade I would love to get to handle them. :thumbup:

See you in a couple of days

Bing

I don't know Bruce. The flippers are giving me fits. Just when I think I've got the equation figured out, the blade fires out of the knife like a dying snail. It's definitely easier if I can back-cut the scale on the lock side which, I didn't want to do on this one. I flattened the ball and pushed it out a few more thou and that helped quite a bit. I only have .015" to work with so on the next one I may try setting it up for .020" and see if I can get more stored energy.

The little linerlocks are working out really nice and I am definitely getting a feel for them. I'll be bringing my last four folders with me. See you at the banquet Thursday.

Bob

Good looking knives Bob. Very nice work.
Gotta ask,
You won't happen to have a video or pic of your mug then the flash fire went off?
Dozier
Accuracy beats speed

Good looking knives Bob. Very nice work.
Gotta ask,
You won't happen to have a video or pic of your mug then the flash fire went off?
Dozier
Accuracy beats speed

No permanent record of the event. I will say I had a moment of the big eyes and a couple minutes of waiting for my heart rate to come down.

Bob

I was able to handle these two at Blade. Both are exceptional pieces. Really looking forward to seeing more work out of Bob's shop.
thanks for sharing
Bing

Back