New Approach to Knife Making ... Files

Good goin bud! Ya burn yer fingertips yet? :D

Only a couple times. And surprisingly, not at all with the blaze belts! Only burnt them a couple times on the 220 grit belts I have.

I just finished the handle, and started the sheath. I have to wait for the barge cement to cure some more before I can test it out at all.

It's embarrassing to say this, but this practice blade I just made appears to outperform most blades I have made so far. I was able to cut 1/8" thick leather almost as if it were paper. One pass with the blade and its cut its way through. I know, that that is partially blade geometry, but I was able to cut many strips off, then cut the sheath leather out, probably 10 feet of using just the tip to cut, before there was any noticeable wear to just the tip.

I'll get some pictures up later tonight probably, once I finish the very simple sheath and make sure everything seems to be how I like it.

Glad to hear it's holding an edge 2thumbs Put it through the brass rod test to make sure it's not still too brittle. I know the brass rod isn't very scientific, but it is an indicator.

I used to temper the files before i ground them. 400 deg for an hour gives you a hard edge I modified a hard wheel grinder to take a cut off wheel for shaping the blade and tangs. just keep a big bucket of water to keep the blade cool. the tang and handle sould be soffened or even anneled with a propane toruch to keep them from bracking. i also heated the back of the blade to a bright blue this makes the blade tuffer.

Gary, thats an interesting idea for a way to shape them! The blaze belts do eat it up pretty quickly though, so I might stick with them.

Here's the pics as I promised...

Blade length: 2.75" Overall: 5-7/8"
Handle material: Black Poison Wood (between sapwood and heartwood) with a superglue finish
Total length in sheath: 7"

dsc05611lj.jpg

dsc05612s.jpg

dsc05613o.jpg

dsc05616e.jpg

Comments?

Back