New 1095 chefs knife

Insight

I started this knife a while back, and I left it on the bench for most of the winter because I didn't think that many people liked high carbon knives for the kitchen. I remembered what a lot of you guys told me, "just finish it." So I did- I also found that there is a decent amount of people who enjoy HC kitchen blades! So I put up a few photos, and made a little youtube video showing it off. Hope you like it!

IMG_0634.jpgIMG_0653.jpg

[video=youtube;D3gCxUIkRh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3gCxUIkRh0[/video]

Last edited:
Good job on the knife. It looks like it does the job. All my kitchen knives are carbon steel, just remember to use, wash, dry, and put away. It will develop a patina over time so don't worry about it.

Doug

Very nice! I also have a 1084 chefs knife I started over a year ago for someone, but haven't gotten to finishing it.
Wish now I had done it in 1095 to put a hamon on it.

What did you use to quench the blade in for heat treating to get the hamon activity if you don't mind me asking?
Great job on the knife.

Very nice! I have one on the bench also for the Misses. I was going to put 304 bolsters but forgot to drill the holes before HT. After seeing your knife I am going without bolsters!

Very nice! I also have a 1084 chefs knife I started over a year ago for someone, but haven't gotten to finishing it.
Wish now I had done it in 1095 to put a hamon on it.

What did you use to quench the blade in for heat treating to get the hamon activity if you don't mind me asking?
Great job on the knife.

I clay coated with satanite, and let it cure overnight- Then I heat treated like normal, and quenched in Parks #50. Lots of hand sanding went into this, too- I'm still not sure of how to get the best "pop" out of a hamon line... I must have had it looking really nice, then buffed it out, etched it back in, then polished it out again like 5 times!

Back